1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using the Pop Up or small flash

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Pop up or the small flashes included with some of the m4/3 cameras are not all bad!

I imagine on occasion many of us are asked to take some photos at an unexpected time. Sometimes we just have to use what we have at hand. Several years ago I got asked if I had my camera with me as one of my co-workers wanted some photos for special lady. What she really wanted was a 36” wide triptych.

The photos were to be taken in a very small and dim room, a low ceiling, and enough furniture to make it a little hard to maneuver around. I had an Olympus 4/3s E-30 , a 9-18mm, and 12-60mm lenses with me. I did not have a flash with me so I had to use the pop-up flash – but a popup flash to make a 36 triptych?

The photo with people in it (straight out of the camera) was shot at ISO 800, 1/20 sec, f/3.6, and 30mm. The pop-up flash was used and a napkin thrown over it to diffuse it somewhat. Not bad for a pop-up flash!

But the two side photos for the triptych were more of an issue. I needed a little softer light and some control. Hmmm, that Styrofoam cup in the photo would work! Of course I grabbed one that wasn’t in use.

The large photo shown is with the Styrofoam cup over the flash before I reshaped the cup to fit the need, photo taken at ISO 800, 1/20 sec, f/16, at 13mm. I’m shooting in portrait view leaning over the table to limit the field of view and fill the frame with the subjects. In the bottom of the matting of the fruit art you can see my lit up forehead and fingers holding the camera.

The last skinny photo was after I played with positioning the camera better and shaping the cup to fit the need. I had changed to f/8.0 from the settings above. Again, one more pretty darn good straight out camera photo - considering the use of a pop-up flash. And for this last photo the flash was the main light, not fill.

Don’t discount the tools at hand!

full.

full.

full.

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use my FL-LM3 bundled flash all the time with my E-M5 Mk.II. It provides just enough power to get a nice fill in when I'm out street shooting. The great thing about this flash is that as small as it is, it rotates and bounces and uses the body as the power source. A nice bonus is that it can also be used as a trigger for an off-camera flash as well.

[​IMG]