Using the Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 on an Olympus body.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jackthehat, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    I am considering buying this lens for use on my E-P5 but I have a concern...

I mostly use Auto ISO in Aperture Priority mode. Will my camera be able to detect what focal length I am using even though it is a Panasonic lens? Obviously It'll be no good if the camera selects a shutter speed of 1/30 when I'm shooting at 140mm.

2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    no need to worry,
    your olympus will be able to detect what focal length any panasonic lens is at and adjust shutter speed accordingly.
    I've got great results with 14-140 ii on my EM5

At f5.6 it is nice and sharp across the frame.
    Employ the 0sec anti-shake setting if you notice any shutter shock with it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thank you. The reason I asked is that I have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and I have to manually set the focal length into the IBIS. I assume it is advisable to use the lens stabilisation on the 14-140mm rather than IBIS. Correct?

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Is the 20mm the only lens you have to do this with? If so then it sounds like an issue with the 20mm, you should not have to manually set it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I think it's strange that you should need to dial in the focal length for the 20mm - mine's the old one and it works flawlessly with I.B.I.S. on the E-M10, as it did on the older E-PM1. Just note that the focal length you see in the settings dialogue isn't the one you use, but the one you manually set. As long as you use lenses with full electronic contacts, the camera adjusts settings regardless of the manual settings.

M.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Now you've all got me thinking. I have been manually setting the 20mm focal length in the IBIS settings because I assumed I had to. I have just checked how the camera acts when I attach the 20mm and I can now see that the focal length in the IBIS settings is greyed out (although it can still be changed). The same thing happens with my Olympus 45mm. When I attach a manual focus lens the IBIS focal length is not greyed out. All this time I've been setting it to 20mm for no reason! Ha ha. Thanks guys! That's good news for me!

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    The 14-140mm is all about versatility. I used it for video purposes only because of the 280mm (35mm format equiv).

I sold that lens due to image quality. I'm typically never buy mega zooms "all in one" packages because of sacrificing IQ.

If you compare your 45mm or 20mm to the images you get with this zoom you'll not be in the same ballpark of IQ level.

The IQ from a Oly 12-40 pro, Panny 12-35mm is what you'd expect in IQ from a good quality mid FL zoom. Even my inexpensive Panny 12-45mm noticeably surpasses the 14-140mm IQ.

I'd suggest buying certain FL zooms and categorizing them for the usage. For example UWA, Mid zoom and longer rather than a superzoom. I'd only reserve superzooms for certain situations where lens changing is not an option.

If you need a universal 1 camera setup the 14-140mm will perform adequately in the IQ department. If you compare that to a 2 lens zoom setup such as a 12-35mm and 35-100 f/2.8 it will cost dearly but the images will be equivalent to a prosumer crop sensor canon/nikon dslr !!! i'd suggest spending $200 more and buy a 12-35mm and later buy a decent 100-300mm zoom. You will not be disappointed in the oly 12-40mm or 12-35mm.

This is just an alternative that can be done in a two part purchase while saving up. I've done this with all of my Canon camera gear over the years. I'm slowly doing this for my M43 now too. This allows for maximum IQ possible for the M43 sensor. Buy preowned lenses to take the bite out of the wallet.

The 14-140 will land the shot but not give you that razor sharp wow factor you get in your prime lenses you own. The current available f/2.8 zooms will virtually almost match the IQ of many m43 primes.

8. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thanks Alan, I know all that. I only use m43 for travelling light so a 10x all-in-one lens will get a lot of use. I use a 5D for everything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @jackthehat@jackthehat Just to let you know: The Olympus 14-150mm II is a very good lens, too - and this is coming from someone who also uses the 12-40mm *and* shoots FF and APS-C systems as well. By most accounts, the Panasonic is slightly sharper - but I really can't fault the quality of the Olympus superzoom. Yes, the pro zoom is better on all counts - but the diminuitive size and solid performance of the 14-150mm II make it a worthwhile lens to own. I have travelled with it, with only a fast prime as a second lens, and it worked out very well.

Not from that journey, but to give you a little idea of what's possible:
    22140065346_db820be816_c.
    the reader
    on Flickr

Use magnification on Flickr to look at the guy who's inspired the title - you can actually make out his expression. Not bad for a lens that should - in theory - be a bundle of compromises ... ;)

M.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  10. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Majority of my travels with my 5dmk3 I can bring my UWA 16-35Lmk2 f/2.8 and 24L mk2, 85 f/1.8 (or 85Lmk2) mm prime and cover virtually every sort of family documentation needed.

For my m43 I'm still lacking a lot of lenses. However I can get away with alot using the 12-35 f/2.8 zoom assuring excellent image quality "guaranteed" regardless of lower light situations. I've been upset too many times trying to make a super zoom work for everything. IQ just isn't good enough in low light for important family documentation.

Family vacation trips I'll actually have my 5dmk3 on my hip (using spider holster) and one of my M43 camera's with the 25 f/1.4.

Come to think of it the 14-140mm will be good enough for good light situations and bring a prime just for those low light situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    My wife uses the Panny 14-140 on her Olympus bodies with good results. I however, decided to go with the Oly 14-150 for the weather sealing and lower price. Mine is at least the equal of her Panny. Side by side on the same Oly bodies, there is no difference. Panny focuses closer, Oly has more reach, the F/3.5 for the Panny, or F/4.0 for the Oly...........not a factor.

Both are great, sharp lenses and punch well above their price points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Olympus refurb shop has the 14-150 for $399. I got mine as a refurb and it's perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    From the reviews I've read, the Oly is not as sharp as the MkII Panny. That's the only reason I'm opting for the Panny. I would prefer the weather sealing and anti-clockwise zoom of the Olympus lens but not if it means sacrificing image quality.

14. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I use the Pany 14-140 mark 2 for travel, I also take the Pany 7-14 which gives 7-140mm range with 2 compact lenses. I use Oly EM-5ii and EM-5 bodies.
    The Pany 14-140 is a very good lens, especially at the wide end, it does soften a wee bit with zoom but nothing to worry about.

Paul

15. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Actually, my Oly 14-150 is a tad sharper on my E-M5 II than my wife's Panny 14-140. I used my wife's lens before buying the Oly version, and was pleasantly surprised. I doubt anyone would be able to see a real world difference.j

16. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Is your wife's lens the f/5.6 version or the older f5.8 lens?

17. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Newest version

18. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @jackthehat@jackthehat If I were you, I'd actually not worry too much about technical IQ - both these lenses have quite a decent reputation among users (if not among testers - but they're both well received, too). If the Olympus 14-150mm II ticks your boxes, you won't be dissappointed - I'm pleasantly surprised time and again by what this lens delivers; sure, it's not quite on the same level in terms of sharpness and contrast as the 12-40mm, let alone the super-sharp primes, but it's really good, and it's extremely convenient. It's a "journeyman" lens - not the best, but reliable and proficient.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thanks Matt, I'll take a look at both lenses and see which I prefer.

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please keep us informed of your choice. Some of us are considering both of these two lenses.