1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using the Oly OM-D E-M5 as my primary camera for work.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Great article, Mat!

I am also a full-time working photographer and most people simply don't realize just how much "weight" this simple statement of yours carries to somebody who has to handle, maneuver, and transport so much equipment all day long:

3. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Thanks Ned.
    Yes, it makes a big difference.

4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    i enjoyed reading your article! thank you!

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Mat,

Great article and very honest assessment.

I switched all my full frame kit in April this year and completely replaced it with an OMD kit and love it, I also have an X100 and I find the OMD can match the X100 IQ and in some circumstances match that from my old D700 so I am happy.

I now have a kit that is less than half the size/weight of my previous kit yet probably only a 15% difference in IQ so an absolute no brainer for me.

It is great to read opinions of Pros who are using Mu43 and now we have in the UK Damian McGillicudy as an Olympus Ambassador and producing stunning images solely with the OMD, it is raising awareness of the capability of the format. (link to Damian's blog below:)
    Blog — Damian McGillicuddy

We now need both Olympus & Panasonic to actively promote their products in the media, both print and TV.

6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I've been using the OMD professionally for a few months now, it's fantastic. I have a full repertoire of Canon full frame bodies and L lenses which I haven't used for months, other than to allow my assistant or trainees to use them. I have very high standards and very demanding clients, and the OMD has performed extremely well for me. I'll be talking a little more about how I use my OMD in July's Olympus magazine ( I think it comes out next week).

7. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Thanks Iansky. I already know McGillicuddy, I follow his work with great interest.
    I agree, Oly and Pana should increase their marketing, here in Italy for example MFT cameras aren't well known.

8. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Looking forward to read it ;)

9. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Hi Mat, the feature will be mostly on using the OMD for wildlife and natural animal portraiture, I think it's great for that kind of thing. And the sheer joy of being able to walk around fields and woods for several hours without becoming exhausted like I used to!

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great stuff that you've got there!

11. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
  12. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    Very interesting and informative article.

Thanks,

Roger

13. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Good read and I completely agree with you. I'm using my OM-D for professional work since december but I did not sell all my Canon gear yet. I will be shooting both for this wedding season but will probably sell the rest of my FF gear at the end of the season. I shot a wedding as a second shooter 3 weeks ago with only micro 4/3 cameras and loved it. Once the problems with my blog are over (changing web hosting this week to solve that), I will post the result of this wedding.

14. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Interesting write up.

Thanks

15. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Thanks. I think I will also keep my Nikon FF for a certain time, then I will decide if keep it or sell it. I think the switch must be done with precaution and wisely :smile:

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Mat... love that image in your first post! Wonderful stuff. And concur that for many applications, m4/3 can do the job very well. I certainly appreciate the compact form factor and light weight, especially for my personal work.

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Looking forward to it

Hi Lindsay,

I am certainly looking forward to your article as I spend a lot of time doing street / landscape etc and the OMD has certainly made a huge difference to my well being after years of working as a PJ with heavy bags full of DSLR kit!

Thanks for giving us a heads up on this.