1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Using the EM1 with 4/3 Lenses for Sports/Action/Wildlife Photography

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phocal, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It seems that over the last few months I am always answering posting and having to look up and link all of the threads I have started about using the EM1 and my 4/3 lenses for sports and wildlife photography. So I am making this post to link all my threads so I just have to look up one thread and do one link. Will also keep it updated with other threads that I start.

ZD 50-200 SWD + EC-14 @ Airshow (my first real outing with a 4/3 lens) - AirShow = E-M1 + ZD 50-200 SWD + 1.4x TC

ZD 50-200 SWD @ DockDogs competition - DockDogs Competition w/ EM-1 and ZD 50-200 SWD (FYI - Photo Heavy Post)

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 Micro Focus Adjust with comparison photos to the ZD 50-200 SWD - Focus Accuracy and Comparison of ZD 150mm ƒ2 and 50-200 SWD

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 @ a Pro Wakeboard competition - Houston Pro Wakeboarding Competition - Photo Heavy

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 @ Airshow (same airshow with the ZD 50-200 SWD but a year later) - EM1 + ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 = 2015 Wings Over Houston Airshow

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 @ a state park and why I love the µ4/3 system - ZD 150mm ƒ2.0, a park, and why I shoot Olympus

ZD 50-200 SWD + EC-20 @ a state park with my thoughts on comparing this to the Panny 100-400 and the ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 + EC-20 vs Oly 300 Pro - A day with the ZD 50-200 SWD and EC-20

4/3 Lenses and TC's, a post I made about using TC's on 4/3 lenses - The E-M1 and teleconverters (EC-14, EC-20) with four-thirds lenses

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 comparisons with/out TC's at different apertures and a comparison of ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 and 50-200 SWD with EC-20 - A day with my 300/4 and 100-400

Building my perfect backpack, aka FrankinPack - FrankinPack

A day with my Little Tuna - Baby Gators etc.......

A near miss with a mama gator - Kissed by a Gator

My personal favorite photograph taken with my Little Tuna - The Power of the Little Tuna

An ongoing thread where I document my pursuit for the ultimate baby gator photographs - The Baby Gator Project

ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 & ZD 50-200 SWD at the 2016 Wings Over Houston Airshow - 2016 Wings Over Houston Airshow (Image Heavy)

3 Days and 4 different genres of photography - 3 Days and 4 Genres of Photography

Cricket Photography - Cricket Photography

to be cont.........

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. m43renegade

m43renegade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Rey
    very informative and helpful ron. really appreciate it.

a one-stop spot for those who planned to adopt the legacy fourthirds on their E-M1

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks and that's what I am hoping to create.

4. m43renegade

m43renegade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Rey
    i always feel that the legacy fourthirds are worth revisiting. as i feel it is still more optically superior than mft, the only concern is the AF. i sold all 3 of my mft lenses from my all time fave lumix 20mm 1.7(from my first mirrorless. GF1) to the more recent olympus mft lenses for the legacy for thirds. i only have the 50f2 and the 12-60swd al so far im more than impressed. this is the reason why i will ditch the 40-150 2.8 and go for the 50-200swd. i have always wanted the 150f2 but its too expensive and hard to find. one at a time, first im gonna get the 50-200swd. just need to find the mint-as-possible condition from japan sellers (as they are more reliable and the take good care of their lenses) for 500USD or less.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I've found the 4/3rds lenses which I also use on my E-M1, to be excellent. On one occasion I found that one of the OEM 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptors [MMF-3] I'd bought, wasn't as accurate as it should have been. The fact that the E-M1 supports (AF-wise) the older lenses so they operate almost as fast as their m4/3rds counterparts is great.

What somewhat bemuses me is that some m4/3rds users seem to think that 4/3rds lenses aren't as good as their m4/3rds optics, when the odds are, that those 'old' lens designs were probably used to recalculate the new m4/3rds optics. Some of these people will also rave on about how good APS-C and FF lenses are, [used with an adaptor] when they are 'probably' going to deliver compromises of one kind or another.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    In terms of pure optical quality, I don't think I've owned a better lens than the little Tuna (which I found in good condition, used, for less than a 40-150/2.8 goes for new), and the 50-200 SWD is an absurdly good deal. The only nitpick is the slightly slower and noisier AF.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    From everything I have seen the 4/3 HG lenses are probably about the same in IQ as the new µ4/3 Pro lenses. It seems in both designs that Olympus went for a mix of optical and software correction, it's why the Pro lenses are a bit bigger in design (optical correction takes more space then software correction). The new Pro lenses are not even close to the SHG lenses as far as IQ goes. The new 300mm Pro comes close and is probably going to be one of the best µ4/3 lenses for some time. While it is a very sharp lens, it lacks that magical image ability that lenses like the 150/2 are capable of. The one area the 4/3 lenses fall behind is in C-AF or when shooting stopped down, they just can't do the full 10fps in either of those two situations (they will top out around 7.5fps).

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have to agree. I have used most of the Canon L lenses when I was shooting Canon and the 150/2 is my favorite lens ever (probably the best optically as well). The 50-200 for the IQ and effective reach is the best deal in any system out there. I can't think of any other system where you can get a weather sealed lens with an effective 100-400mm of reach in a lens that has some absolutely amazing IQ. I think they are only slower to get initial focus but once focus is locked, it will keep focus in C-AF just as well as any µ4/3 lens (the new EM1 could change this significantly). The noisier AF does not really bother me because in situations where I am using C-AF there is so much ambient noise that it does not really matter.

9. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I'm puzzled why the term 'Image Noise' is being related to the lens, rather than the sensor, or maybe via the stabilization employed? Could someone who's experienced this, clarify what they are getting?

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I thought I had responded to this, looks like I didn't. So, you ever get the 50-200 SWD? What about the 150/2, still looking for one?

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Where are you seeing people talk about this lens and image noise? The only mention of noise in this thread is about the auto focus noise of the lens.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Indeed. They're a touch noisy compared to the silent, modern m43 lenses. So not super for video, if that's your bag.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Please don't! It'll only let prices go up on the used market and supply go down...
    I'm terribly selfish sometimes ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1