using the 60mm macro

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by damianmkv, Feb 3, 2015.

1. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    before going m43, I had a d7000 which i used with a 70-300 and a raynox DCR-250 for macro. When I changed system, i took the decision to buy a macro lens but I'm struggling with it :dash2:

The reason is that to get a decent amount of DoF, I used to shoot at f14 or so. However, doing that with the E-M10 just makes the EVF go black and I cannot see a thing.

I guess that I'm doing something wrong so would appreciate some guidance, thanks :thumbup:

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    If you stop down beyond f8 you'll start to get diffraction issues. f8 should give you a decent amount of dof on M4/3

• Like Like x 1
  3. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Thanks Richard - I'll have another go.

4. Sujiar

Sujiar Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    NorCal, USA
    Suji
    Just whipped out my 60 macro and shot the flowers on the table at f16 & f22 with the lens set to 0.19-0.4m and apart from the camera shake(!) there was no black picture. Is it just your EVF going dark during a long exposure? At f16 indoors it was 2 secs of darkness!
    It's a great lens but DOF is always an issue in macro.

All the best

5. Go into setting cog D and see if you have live view boost turned on. If it's off, your screen will darken as your aperture gets smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  6. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Will have a look when I get home, thanks

7. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Yes, the screen and the evf go dark - the picture isn't but obviously I can't see what I'm taking

8. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    It was off - now on. Thanks so much Harvey

• Like Like x 1