Using the 40-150 2.8 Pro with no collar

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jbravo14, May 11, 2015.

1. jbravo14

jbravo14 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2013
    Planning on using this on my e-m5 with no collar. Can the e-m5 body/bayonet handle the sheer weight of this lens?

I know the e-m1 is all metal, not too sure with e-m5.

Any one else here used the 40-150 2.8 Pro with no collar? How do you strap/handle it with no collar?

2. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    First thing I did after getting this lens is remove the collar, since I hardly ever shoot from a tripod. I use the lens on my EM5 and EM1 and it handholds amazingly well. I carry the body/lens inside a a small messenger bag or without bag by grabbing the lens. I'm not too fond of hanging this kind of bigger lens on a strap, no matter the point of attachment.

3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    All the time on my EM-1. I use a strap which attaches to the strap lugs and haven't had a problem. When shooting I cradle the lens with my left hand.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    People have reported that the neck strap lugs have come out of the body on the EM5, so not sure if I would prefer to go that way. I've switched from neck straps to BlackRapid straps and use the tripod collar mount on the 40-150/2.8 as the attachment point.

I just wouldn't do it, but that might just be me and my paranoia.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I recently acquired a Zuiko 50-200 SWD and I bought an OpTech Lens Loop to attach it and the camera to my sling strap. The Lens Loop goes around the lens next to the lens mount and provides a safer carry, I think, than from the strap lugs or tripod socket on the body. I like that it hangs lens down. I have yet to field test it, but I think it should work. http://optechusa.com/lens-loops.html

I considered getting a Black Rapid style strap mount, but didn't like the idea of the lens and camera hanging from the tripod collar.

Of course, that's for when I let the camera dangle while I'm doing something else. When I'm shooting, I'd cradle the lens in my left hand or hold the camera by the grip.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I often use the 50-200 SWD with the tripod foot, but I not handle the set up by the camera body, primarily by the lens. I figure it this way -

If the manufacture, hence their engineers, decided to include a tripod foot on a lens– they did so for good reason. It all likely hood they decided that using the tripod mount on the camera body with a lens of this nature mounted, was not in the best interest of the equipment or the photographer. I’ve seen where a few people have subjected their camera body tripod mounting point to too much weight/stress, which not only distorted the bottom of the camera but also torqued the body enough that it could not be repaired.

And using the camera strap lugs with a large lens that normally includes a tripod foot, I have never been too trusting of that. I doubt you would either of you saw how the lugs are secured to the camera body.

While camera and lens mounts seem pretty durable, I have seen twisted lens mounts due to improper handling or accidents, and again something that could not be repaired.

The more guarded means of handling such equipment is to support the heaviest part. And a tripod foot seems to be one of the safest ways to do that when available. Besides they can make great carrying handles with a proper Arca-Swiss plate attached.