1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Using Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 with m43?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tabbyarthur, May 14, 2011.

1. tabbyarthur

tabbyarthur Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I would like to know if one of you is using the Sigma 18-50mm. My DMC-GF1 is not compatible (does not focus) but I was wondering if the dmc-gf2 was, for example. I was told that the Sigma works fine with all Olympus m43, but I would like to learn more about it. Any idea why Panasonic would not support the Sigma lens, while Olympus does?

2. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    According to this chart on Panasonic's website, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 should do AF-S on the GF2 body. I wouldn't expect it to be fast, though.

There has to be some difference in the way Panasonic and Olympus implement AF in their bodies, since certain 4/3 lenses will AF with all Olympus m4/3 bodies but only the newer Panasonic m4/3 bodies. I'm not sure what it is, or if it matters whether you use the Panasonic or Olympus 4/3->m4/3 adapter.

I have a PanLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 that seems like it focuses better on my E-PL2 than my GH2. :confused:

3. tabbyarthur

May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the precision. I did find out that the Sigma 18-50mm was focusing with the GF2, but not the GF1. At the same time, it does focus with all Olympus cameras. Maybe Panasonic didn't want users to be frustrated with the slow focusing of the lens, at least compared with the 14-45mm, for example, that is lightning fast. I hope they will revise the firmware in order to allow users like me to use more lenses like Sigma's.

4. leica_m6

leica_m6 New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2011
    Leicestershire
    anyway just a opinion, i always find that Sigma's lens always show photos yellow-er

5. tabbyarthur

May 5, 2011
    I bought a dmc-gf2 just to try it out with the sigma 18-50mm -- it is much slower than I thought. It is not even usable. Maybe for landscape, but not for portraiture. Disappointing.