1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using RC with Flashes... help, time between shots

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RamblinR, Jun 24, 2013.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Was giving this a try the other day as I love how simple it is to implement on the camera. No more dropping stands to adjust settings.

Using RC I limit my shutter speed to 1/160 but I can work with that and I still prefer to work with the flashes in manual as this offers a constant light.

One thing I find annoying is that it takes a few seconds before I can shoot again even when using really low amounts of flash 1/16, 1/32. I can see a lightning bolt and the back of the camera flashing but don't understand what this is for seeing the flash would have recycled pretty well instantly.

Is there something I am missing for this?
    Can anyone offer a solution?

Appreciate your replies.

Maria

2. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    We need a little more information to be able to help you out on this. What kind of triggers are you using? Which camera are you using? Tell us a little more about your setup.

I can say that I can shoot until I fill the buffer on either my G3 or E-PL1 with the Sunpak 522 or 544 that I use with Cactus V5 triggers. The flashes, at low powers, have a very fast recycle time.

3. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I'm using the EM5 and I'm not using any triggers, using the Remote Control (RC) from the camera with the little flash and Olympus flashes. Not using TTL but manual settings.

I normally use RF602's with SB26 flashes etc but I wanted the ease of being able to adjust the flashes manually from the camera instead of having to drop the flashes down. I can shoot over and over with this setup that's why I don't understand the delay between shots with the RC.

Also, can you advise if you can shoot at 1/250 with the V5 triggers and would I get that on the Em5? I can get to 1/200 with the RF602's but it's a little shaded at the top so 1/160 is a better speed.

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Thanks for describing your setup a little more. I have no experience with the E-M5 and the Olympus RC mode, but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to fill you in when they see this. I can understand the appeal of setting the flash powers right from the camera, at times that would be much easier.

As for sync speed with the Cactus V5, the Panasonic G3 firmware limits me to 1/180 when the trigger is turned on. The E-PL1 will allow any sync speed, but does shade part of the image if I go too fast. With the V5 and a Sunpak 544, it looks like I'm good a 1/250, but see some shading on the bottom at 1/320. Without trying an E-M5, I can't say if the results would be the same or not. You might do well, the official sync speed on the E-PL1 is 1/160.

Good luck!

5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    You are getting the delay because the onboard flash needs to recharge in order to send the remote signal. Are you using it as part of the exposure (in the RC menu is the onboard flash off?)

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

6. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    No, not using it as part of the exposure, just to set off the flashes.

I don't think I can work with this delay as it seems like ages before I can take another shot. I can handle the short delay before taking the shot as it tells the flashes to fire but this is much much longer. It shows an orange flash symbol on the screen top right hand side...this flashes until it is able to take another shot. Seems like 3 to 4 seconds. Hard to get used to when I have been able to shoot with triggers and just go click, click, click.

Hmmmm

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    You can adjust the strength of the remote signal if I remember correctly on the right side of the rc menu. The onboard flash is obviously being drained and needs some time to recharge, turn it down it will recycle faster.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Turn off the OLED or use the lowest setting for review.

9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't have this problem at all? The onboard flash should be set to 'Off' or wording something like that in flash menu, yes?

10. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    If you've already got the SB26s, the best way to control power output reliably and maintain burst speed is the radiopopper JRX studio. You can adjust three groups directly from the transmitter. You'll need on transmitter, a receiver and an RP cube for each flash. It's not the cheapest kit but it works brilliantly indoors and out. I just wish Oly and Panasonic would open up the TTL flash protocols so we could get some decent radio transmitters. I've now sold all my Oly flashes and replaced them with cheap nikon ones because I've been waiting so long. It's not like Oly even make radio triggers...

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I just tried this for you using 2 x Metz 48 flashes on manual power (camera controlled) and the clip on Oly flash to trigger them - the flash 'lightning bolt' does illuminate red for a couple of seconds no matter which settings you use - you can safely ignore it as it makes no difference at all to the triggering of the remote flashes or the exposure. You can shoot as fast as the remote flashes can recycle......

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With the flash set to manual 1/10 power I can fire ~ 1 fps with flash and the red lightning bolt is blinking away. For lower flash power settings I get faster fps rates. At full power takes about 6 seconds between frames.

At minimum flash power ~5 fps is possible.

I have the v5 triggers and 1/250 works for me. 1/180 was hard for my E-P1 (same v5's).

If I put the camera into RC mode (on cam flash off so only commander feature) then ... ~3 second delay - TTL or manual don't matter. RC power level hi/med/lo don't matter. I never shoot so fast in such situations so never ran into this as a problem but it is there so good to know.

13. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Will test some more and post further results.

14. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    After more testing this is what I have found.

If you use the small flash supplied with the camera you get a max shooting speed of 1/160 and there is a 3-4 second delay between shots. As someone advised above I gather that this is due to this flash recycling. Note that I did not use this flash for the exposure, only to trigger the other flashes.

If I put a fl600r on the camera to trigger the others the max shooting speed is now 1/200 and time between shots is very quick. If the lights were very low (say 1/32) repetitive shooting would be quick. Annoying that I have to mount the small flash for it to work better.

I love that I can control the flashes from the camera when they are on poles. Worked flawlessly in my home studio for triggering. I have RF602 triggers and old flashes for use outside when I need them.

Maybe this information will be helpful to others and if you can add more information please do.

Cheers
    Maria