1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using RC Flash?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    So I started the other thread. I'm pretty convinced that my hot shoe on the E-M5 is defective. That said, I can't seem to use the FL-36 in RC mode either.

I've turned on RC in shooting menu 2, I've got my camera set up generically just to try to get things working. I set the metering mode to evaluative. When I call up the screen I have TTL, no exposure adjustment, and regular flash, not FP. And then I just set the flash to RC mode. The FL-36R fires but all exposures are very very dark. Is there something else I need to do to use RC flash with the E-M5? Thanks again.

2. Rfinley33

Rfinley33 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    I have the same problem. Any help out there?

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    not clear from your description.... are you using the the FL36 on the hot shoe or off the camera with the little flash that came with the camera on the hotshot?

K

4. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm 99% certain that my hotshoe is not functioning. I have an E620 and the flash works fine on the E620. In RC mode the exposures seem a little dark, but correctable with a little exposure compensation. My E-M5 doesn't seem to recognize the flash at all when mounted on the hot shoe. I tried the flash in RC mode. Set RC to on in shooting menu 2 and set everything else to pretty generic settings to try to get things working. So program mode with evaluative metering. Then set the flash to RC mode. Outwardly, everything seems to work. The little on camera flash is triggering the FL-36R but the resulting exposures are VERY under-exposed. I'm either setting something incorrectly in RC mode, or the camera and flash are are just not communicating correctly. Don't think it's the flash since that seems to work fine with the E-620.

Rfinley33, I started a thread on DPReview. A person responded who had the same problem with the hot shoe. Don't know if he had a problem with RC mode. He had to send his camera in for repair and indicated this is an issue with some E-M5s. Are you having both problems?

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I had the exact same problem with my fl-600r and clipon flash. It turned out to be my mistake as I was setting the the FL-600r flash to "Slave" since I thought that setting it to RC means that it will be in control.

I had to set the OM-D's flash settings to RC and set the fl-600r to RC as well. Everything worked perfectly. You must also make sure that your fl-36 is in the line of sight of the clip-on flash

But If the clip-on works on the hotshoe, why are you assuming that the hotshoe is broken? Have you tried seeing if the fl-36 works on the hotshoe in regular TTL mode not RC?

6. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I initially thought it couldn't be a problems with the camera hot shoe too since the accessory flash worked fin. But I was told the clip on flash is driven by the accessory port. And since there are no hot shoe contacts on the clip on flash I think that's correct. What's the difference between setting the flash in slave mode versus RC mode? I'm just setting the mode dial till I get the RC. There's an r C in the upper right. There's also an Auto with SC in the upper right and a manual with an SC in the upper right. I'm assuming those are the slave modes?

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im not sure what SC means, maybe look it up in the manual. it should say SL for slave. You want RC anyways, slave is for camera without RC. I see your point about the clip-on. So the fl-36r mounted on the hotshoe doesnt work when set to TTL auto?

8. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm not sure what SC means either. Duh. I meant SL. My E-M5 just doesn't communicate at all with the FL-36 when mounted on the hot shoe. Flash works fine on my E620. In RC mode the FL-36 fires but exposures are very underexposed. May stops underexposed. I had posted a similar question on DPReview. Got a response from a person who had a similar problems. He linked to an earlier thread. I was at least hoping to get in functioning well in RC mode, since it fires. I was hoping the underexposures in RC mode were my error but I increasingly think the camera is not fully communicating with the flash in that mode either.

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Hmmmmm i see. Are their any local camera stores where you can walk in and try another flash? I think that would be the best next step. That way you can be sure the problem is with the OMD. Reseting the flash would also be a good idea if you havent done that already (you gotta hold down two of the rear buttons, "ok" and "test" i think)

Edit: in my haste, i occasionally dont push the fl-600r far enough into the mount for it to be recognized by the camera. Its a long shot, but make sure that its seated properly and that the contacts on the OMD are clean.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When using the FL36R in the hotshoe (& the screw lock is down with the locking pin located), with the flash selected for TTL or FP TTL, what flash setting are you using on the camera &, of course, RC mode is turned off (in the camera's menu)? Also, what is the flash exposure compensation set to?

11. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    On my E620 the flash works on the hot shoe and works in TTL mode. I've tried putting it on and off the E-M5 several times. RC is set to off in shooting menu 2 (on the E-M5) and I have either auto-flash or fill flash set as a flash setting, P mode, evaluative metering, and 0.0 flash compensation. The E-M5 and flash simply don't recognize each other on the hot shoe. If I put the flash in Auto SL and use it off camera, I can set iso and aperture and get good exposures. If I set the camera to RC yes in shooting menu 2, and the flash to RC mode, the flash fires and the images are VERY underexposed. I did try resetting the flash. There's a local store that MIGHT have a flash, though they don't stock much Olympus stuff. Since the flash works on the 620 I have to think the hot shoe on the E-M5 is the problem.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, it does sound like the E-M5 is your problem.