Using Panny on Oly and vice versa

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by KVG, Jul 15, 2011.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I have a dumb question. I know Panny has correction software built in to their cameras and I assume Olympus does the same for their lenses. When using a lens say the 20mm is their much of a difference in IQ etc?:confused:

Poll for fun

Thx
    Kelly

Random picture off the inter webz
    koolaid.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You got a "dumb" for using the wrong version of "You're" :)rofl:) but I don't think it makes much difference. Of course, I have only used O and P lenses on O bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think Olympus uses lens correction, only Panasonic. So theoretically your Panasonic body should operate your Panasonic lenses best, but Olympus lenses should work just as well on any body.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I can speak for my EPL2 and GF1, I think on bright light Pana should give "better" (pixel-peeping speaking) result (ISO 100, Chromatic correction) and Oly on difficult light (better high iso quality, IBIS).

Oly don't correct chromatic aberration but do correct distorsion (even with pana lenses).

• Like Like x 1
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Both brands do geometry correction on each other lenses. There's no difference at this point. But Olympus doesn't do chromatic aberration correction neither with its lenses nor with panasonic's. Olympus lenses don't have CA data written in their firmware, so panasonic bodies can't correct Olympus lenses CA either.

And of course, Oly bodies have IBIS so provide anti-shake to any lens, panasonic's included, while Panasonic bodies rely on anti-shake being implemented in the lens, therefore won't be of any help with non-OIS lenses, theirs included (yes, that means YOU, 20mm f/1.7 !)

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  6. The geometry correction is cross-brand, otherwise my Panny 14-140 would be a fisheye lens on my Olympus @ 14mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Is the CA noticeable on an Oly?

Hey DRD1135 I can get smarter, but you can't get prettier:tongue::thumbup:

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have heard the 14 performs better IQ wise on the Panasonic body because of CA correction in the Panasonic bodies. I use a 14/2.5 on my E-P1 and it seems fine. Now, the 20/1.7 does perform better on the Panasonic body but not it terms of IQ but in terms of speed.

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    CA depends on the lens. No generality here. The 20 f/1.7 has very little CA even on an Olympus, while the 17/2.8 has terrible CA. Most adapted lenses made after the 70's are quite good (you use only the -better- central portion and those lenses had to be corrected for film), but anyway they wouldn't be corrected on a Panasonic body either...

You can't answer that question with a yes or a no.

But in any case, CA can be corrected from RAW in post process. Tedious, but doable.

Cheers,