Using Panny 42.5mm f1.7 on Olympus body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Hinrik, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Hinrik

Hinrik New to Mu-43

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi. I've been trying to decide between the Olympus 45mm and Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 lately. Before trying them out I was leaning towards the Panasonic because of its shorter minimum focus distance. However, when trying both of them out at the store, I had a couple of issues with the Panasonic that make it less pleasant to use than the Olympus.

First, it makes some noise (a little louder than the focusing mechanism) whenever I move he camera around/change the framing. Is this the image stabilizer working? Seems weird because in my experience (with Olympus IBIS and Canon lens I.S.) the stabilizer usually makes a very steady quiet hum, not occasional bursts of mechanical noises. But if it really is the stabilizer working, I am unable to turn it off with the "Lens I.S." option in the Olympus menus. Isn't it supposed to work for Panasonic lenses? Or is it just for the single Olympus lens that has OIS (the 300mm f4), which has an external I.S. switch on it anyway?

Second, when autofocusing, the viewfinder seems to go into a lower-resolution mode for the half-second or so that it takes to lock focus (the image looks pixelated), then goes back to normal when focus has been achieved. This is quite distracting when taking photos. Is it normal? Does it apply to all Panasonic lenses when used on Olympus bodies?

For the record, I'm using an E-M5 Mark II with the latest firmware (version 2.2).

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't have any noise issues with my P42.5, and my screen doesn't get pixelated when focusing (GH4). The first problem sounds like it's an issue with the lens, and the second problem sounds like it's an issue with the camera.

If you have an E-M5 II, why not just buy the 45mm and the MCON-P02 macro adapter for when you need it?

3. Hinrik

Hinrik New to Mu-43

Mar 11, 2016
    I might end up doing that if these issues are unavoidable.

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've seen a Youtube review of the 42.5 f1.7 on the EM5II where the lens makes a buzzing noise as it acquires focus when shooting video. I don't think its the same thing as what you're referring to, but worth testing out as well.

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Have had both the O45 and P42.5 1.7. Have used them both on both Panasonic (GX7) and Olympus (EM1, EM5, and now EM10) bodies. Have had no issues with any pairing. Sold the O45 and stuck with the P42.5 to use on the EM10 as it's a tad sharper across the frame than the O45, and the OIS is a bonus if/when I shoot on a Panasonic.

6. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I have owned both of these lenses. The Panasonic can make sounds when the OIS is on and the aperture changes. Did you switch the camera to manual exposure to stop the lens from changing aperture as you moved about the scene and thus aperture might have been trying to adjust on the fly?

I kept the Oly 45 even though I have a Panasonic body because the Oly was definitely sharper than the 42.5 1.7. Realize there is definite unit to unit variability with these lenses so you may or may not get a good one as I found out. Additionally, the out of focus areas with the Oly were more pleasantly rendered and light orbs didn't have that ugly crust/halo around them.

7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Think you lucked out XVVVZ because my experience was the opposite, especially in the periphery. IMO, bokeh was slightly better on the Olympus with more rounded highlights- but it was close and I didn't find the bokeh objectionable on the Panasonic. The huge difference for me was sharpness off-center wide open. It was no contest for me. Wish I had photos, but this review from Cameralabs is in line with my experience:

Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f1.7 quality | Cameralabs

Also examples of the bokeh differences between the lenses. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I've had very good results with the P42.5/1.7 on Panny and Oly (GM1, EM1, EP3) bodies. The sharpness, color rendition, AF, and IS are all quite good IMO.

The lens does make some subtle noises due to the OIS, I assume. It clunks around a bit when not in use, but settles down when powered up on a body. Regarding disabling the lens IS setting in the Oly body, I think that the command in the Oly menu is a bit of a misnomer. As I understand it, the setting merely tells the camera to defer to the OIS in the lens and disable the IBIS in the body. This toggle is offered to prevent the two IS systems from competing with each other. Presuming that the 5-axis IS in-camera is superior to that of the lens, the only time you would use the setting is with a lens such as the P42.5/1.7 that has no switch on it to turn off its own IS.