1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Panasonic lenses on E-PM1 question.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by henryrym, Sep 28, 2012.

1. henryrym

henryrym Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Sorry if already asked.

I'm tempted to buy an E-PM1 as Olympus seem to be selling them off rather cheaply in the UK.

As I have some Panasonic lenses already can you comment on any compatibility issues I might have - eg will the af speed be the same as on a Panasonic body?

What if the lens has Mega or Power ois, how does that work with the Olympus ibis?

Any other issues I might face?

Thanks
    Henry

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    1- AF speed depends on the body. AF on the E-PM1 is likely to be faster than on some Panasonic bodies and slower than on some. It also depends on the lens, and some lenses are faster, or slower, than others. The E-PM1 is a reasonable performer.

2- Most recommendations suggest using tighter the lens' OIS or the Olympus IBIS but not both. Try each and see which you prefer. That may vary depending on lens.

3- Some Panasonic lenses (20mm, PL 25mm) can make a chattering noise (often called the "rattlesnake") on Olympus bodies due to the operation of liveview on Olympus bodies. I've got the PL25 and I get the noise on both my E-P3 and E-M5. Some people find it hugely distracting, others don't find it so bad and basically ignore it, and that's the group I'm in. It doesn't hurt the lens or affect camera operation. You can search the forum for comments about the noise but, as I said, different people react to it differently. Some would definitely not use the 25 on an Olympus body but many of us happily do. I don't know how you would react to the noise and you'll have to find out for yourself if you have one of the problem lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. henryrym

henryrym Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    That's comprehensively answered all I wanted to know, many thanks David! :2thumbs: