Using panasonic lenses on e-m5- problems?

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
guys,

I think MW was referring to the "preview" button (which I've always had set to F2). That's just a magnification option that zooms in really close right? It's really hard to check depth of field with this.

Real Name
Nic
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Took this photo today PL 25mm. CA on the branches and Aperture managed to remove most of it, but I'm gonna go to Lightroom 4 for a final cleanup.

I'm glad that you posted an example. This amount of fringing looks completely atypical compared to what I would expect from the E-M5 and PL25 combination. Do you have any lenses to compare it with? I have seen mine develop a glow of sorts at f/1.4, but backing it off to even f/1.6 removes most of it.

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
Unfortunately, while I was taking this photo at the Chinese Gardens, I was getting kicked out by security because they wanted to close the place up (it around 5pm). I had my 45 mm 1.8 with me but didn't have time to pull it out to do a comparison - will do it next time.

I took this other shot with the Panny 25mm (wide open) on my OM-D on the same day. It turned out really really well. I don't mind the CA issues so much now that I know it can be stopped easily by dropping the f-stop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Nic
That looks great! I tend to regard the PL25 as a maximum f/1.6 lens for that reason, and it probably sits around f/4 most of the time on my camera.

mw1

Mu-43 Regular
guys,

I think MW was referring to the "preview" button (which I've always had set to F2). That's just a magnification option that zooms in really close right? It's really hard to check depth of field with this.
Nope, just like peter said it's Custom (cog wheel)-B-Button Function-"Preview" the one that looks like aperture blades and says "depth of field preview."

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
Thanks MW. I got it! Yeah it's pretty accurate this preview. Nice one. Makes a funny shutter noise every time I press down the button (assigned it to Fn2).

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
That looks great! I tend to regard the PL25 as a maximum f/1.6 lens for that reason, and it probably sits around f/4 most of the time on my camera.
I hope this isn't a stupid question :D If that's the case, what's the advantage relative to the Panasonic 20/1.7?

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
CS6, when updated with the latest version, incorporates ACR 7.1 which is the same version as LR4.1 and this offers the automatic CA correction. Why it has become so good? The Adobe guys finally figured it out I guess :smile:. Nikon's Capture NX already offered this a few years ago. You can always download a Lightroom trial version, install and uninstall are effortless (I tried it before I finally succumbed).

Edit: what I wrote above pertains to the CA that is especially visible in the corners and is mostly yellow/blue or magenta/green. Purple fringing is different: it shows up around highlights also in the centre of the image and is often prominent in fast lenses at their wide apertures. I've seen it clearly in pics of the PanaLeica 25/1.5 wide-open. Correction in ACR 7.1 is sort of semi-automatic: you select a light-to-dark transition in the image where it's visible and then click on it with the Fringe Color Selector and presto, the purple fringing magically disappears. A lot of lenses benefit from this; the Panny 45-200 comes to mind especially when used wide-open, but also a lot of my Minolta legacy zoom lenses.

Addieleman: I am running CS6 now and the Chromatic Aberration correction is greyed out man - can't select it. Screenshot: https://img.skitch.com/20120912-ktme5ncku4n3jwe77832c9ggej.jpg

I have ACR 7.1 installed. Any ideas here?

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
scratch that! i was using the lens correction.

I allowed camera raw to open up my photos instead and the tool was there. All fixed.

This CA fix is AMAZING...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom