1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using panasonic lenses on e-m5- problems?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ballcall2, Aug 30, 2012.

1. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    I have the 14-45mm and the 20mm lenses, and my e-m5 is on its way. using those lenses on the e-m5 causes any problems? Will there be a lot of CA or distortion using those lenses?

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    no problem at all. YES, lots of CA that you can correct easily in LR or any other PP program.

3. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I use the Panny 20/1.7 on my E-M5. The camera occassionally locks up when using this lens (never happened with my other lens - Oly 12-50). Just last week, after shooting a few 5-frame bursts, the camera locked up and the battery compartment/grip was quite warm to the touch. I ended up having to remove the battery for a few seconds, then put it back in and the camera came back to life.

4. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    How frequently is it happening for you? Is it something that make this combination (the 20mm+om-d) unusable?

5. LEOR

LEOR Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2010
    Pickering, Ont Canada
    Panasonic lenses on EM-5

The Panasonic 14-45 and 20 are my most used lenses on the EM-5 and am very pleased with the results. If there is any CA LR4 takes care of it nicely. The only Olympus lenses I have at the moment are the m9-18 and the 40-150.

Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have an E-M5, and no problems using the 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 7-14/4, and 100-300. There are reported banding issues with the 20/1.7, but I haven't really shot it much in low light...

7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    The camera has locked up twice with this lens.

The first time, it wouldn't wake back up after going into sleep state (long time between pictures...). In that case, I simply had to turn the camera off and back on again.

The second time was just last weekend (as described in my earlier post). I shot a bunch of HDR brackets and the grip area got rather warm. (This happens with my Oly 12-50 as well when shooting frequent brackets). I can't recall exactly, but I THINK that I turned the camera off after shooting the brackets (which is my usual procedure when I expect a lengthy gap between shots), but the camera remained warm. That never happened before while the camera was off. When it came time to shoot again, the camera wouldn't start up until I removed the battery for a few seconds. (It cooled off at that point.)

To be honest, it could be that it's a battery problem - since the camera heats up a bit with either lens. (I'm using the OEM battery.) When replacement OEM batteries become available, I guess that I'll find out whether it's a battery problem or not.

Do I consider it a major problem that makes this combo (Panny 20 and E-M5) "unusable"? - Definitely NOT. Actually, I love using this lens!

8. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    To echo some of the comments above, yes, expect some CA. I see it most with the 7-14, but it doesn't bother me much and is reportedly easily removed with LR or another PP app. I've NEVER (knock on wood) had a lockup with the 20mm combo, but I have upgraded the firmware to the most recent one designed to address the issue- the one that I believe was pulled because of installation issues.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    From what I gathered from your comments:
    1) There is some CA, but it can easily be fixed in LR 4.
    2) Sometimes the 20mm frizes the OM-D with no apparent reason (but it rarely happens)
    3) Overall both this lenses will provide very good IQ in most occasions.

I have another questions if you don't mind:
    1) Would the OM-D JPEG's provide good image quality? Can you correct JPEGs with LR 4?
    2) I heard reports of banding with high ISO using the 20mm. What is banding exactly? Is it very noticeable?

10. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Yes, and Yes. However, shooting Raw will provide you much more latitude in your editing in LR4.

11. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Got the 14 and 25 here. No problems.

I played with the 20 a bit but I didn't really like the auto focus so I went for the 25 instead. There have been reports for aperture blade chatter and I experienced it once my self. But it's not something that bothers me and I have a hard time duplicating it.

You'll get banding with just about any camera system when you push the ISO, I wouldn't be too bothered by it.

12. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I just picked up a 25 mm Summilux DG and I was surprised that after the first day of shooting, I had HEAPS of chromatic aberration.

I never noticed CA on my Olympus m.zuiko lenses using my Om-d EM-5. Yet the Leica is a lot more expensive. I would have thought that these artifacts would be a lot less.

Does anyone know why the Olympus lenses barely show fringing?

13. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The Olympus doesn't correct for CA with Pan. lenses as it does with Oly lenses. LR4 fixes it easily.

It's interesting how much distortion and CA correction goes on behind the scene with cameras and software these days. I took a look at one of my Canon shots with a 24-105 L lens without correction and couldn't believe the barrel distortion. With the correction on. it's gone.

14. mw1

mw1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2012
    Although longitudinal CA isn't corrected in any camera/lens combo, and the PL 25 just has a whole lot more of that (esp at 1.4, on my Pana and Oly cameras) than the Oly 45.

15. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Damn. I had no idea. I'm gonna stick with oly lenses for my omd from now on. Not only for the CA correction but the fact that oly lenses also autofocus a lot faster.

The pl25 is fast but not as fast as my zuiko 45mm I found.

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I think you'll find it more productive to learn how to remove CA in post-processing than to exclude from consideration those Panny lenses for which there may be no comparable Oly lens. For instance, what Oly μ4/3 lens would you substitute for your PL25? Answer: there is no Oly μ4/3 lens in the 20-25mm range.

That's one of the beauties of μ4/3: two manufacturers with interchangeable lenses and cameras. The issues are manageable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I wouldn't say it's replaces the PL25, but oly does have the 4/3 25...

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If Mark is looking for fast autofocus, I'm thinking the adapted 4/3 lenses wouldn't satisfy...but it is an Oly option! I edited my post to be specific to μ4/3.

19. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thanks for all your feedback guys. You're right that there is no replacement for the PL25. That's why I wanted it so much. But I was just so surprised at the amount of CA I saw coming out of it.

I've been trying to remove CA via Aperture and Photoshop CS5 and so far it's not easy. Everyone says that Lightroom is good at this but I I don't have it :(

Mark

20. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Just wanted to mention that while I was shooting with the PL25 today, there was lens chattering, on two occasions.

I switched the camera on and off both times to get it to stop. Sounds really nasty. What's going on in there I wonder?