1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Panasonic lens on an EM5 Mk2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by paulgul, Apr 28, 2016.

1. paulgul

paulgul New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2012
    Up until now I've always used Olympus lenses on my EM5 but I'm now looking at the Panasonic H-HS35100E or the H-FS35100E, are these lenses fully compatible with the EM5, or will I loose certain functions. I see the Pany lens have built in stabilisation so I assume I would have to either disable the lens stab or the camera stab.
    Paul

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    that lens is compatible with the em5, but since it does not have a physical ois switch, the lens stabilization will be enabled depending on the setting in the em5

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just got to the IBIS tab in the menu, and there should be a line reading something like "Lens IS Priority". Turn it to "off", and the camera will use the IBIS rather than the OIS.

And yes, any lens designed for m43 will work with any m43 body. The only functionality loss like you're talking about are the aperture rings on the PL15 & PL42.5, which don't work on Olympus bodies, and the L-Fn button on some Olympus lenses that don't work on Panasonic bodies. Also, Panasonic bodies don't use DFD focusing with Olympus lenses, only Panasonic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You've got the E-M5 original which lacks the Lens IS Priority option. In this case the IBIS will always take precedence over lens OIS.

5. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    You'll also lose any lens corrections Panasonic would apply for a specific lens. Mostly CA I think which can be handled in post if it's too extreme. I notice it with the P20 on my Oly bodies.

6. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I used Panasonic lenses almost exclusively on my Olympus bodies and except for the conditions explained above which I found to be all true, I never had any problems. Personally, for the various lenses I tried which I have documented in different threads, I thought they felt better to me and seemed better built than the Olympus lenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. paulgul

paulgul New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks very much for all the replies, much appreciated :thumbup: