Using Pana 20mm 1.7 with E-P1 - any issues I should be aware of?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timallenphoto, May 25, 2011.

1. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I've kind of said it all in my thread title really. Recently bought an E-P1 with Olympus kit lens and the only other lens I'm interested in is the 20mm pancake - is it as good on my camera as it is on a GF1 for example? Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been done to death before! For info the Olympus 17mm pancake doesn't appeal, too wide and 'only' 2.8.

• Like Like x 1
  2. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I hope it works well because I've just bought the panny 20mm today too :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It works great. I have a G2 and an E-P1 and about the only thing you'll notice is that the E-P1 doesn't focus as fast. Another forum member suggested to me to set the E-P1 in A mode with the focus point set to center and metering to center weighted.

Works like a charm.

4. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Thanks, I shoot in A mostly anyway but will experiment with the metering.

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Since Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is a m43 lens it will work flawlessly in any m43 body including EP-1. I use my Panasonic 20mm with EPL-1 and it work great you can see the link of sample shot here

If there is an "issue" I think it will come from the fact that it's really a small prime lens, you need to move forward and backward physically to compose a shot. Not real bokeh, if you look for that kind effect you better get those 50mm old manual lens instead. And due to the characteristic of Panny Lens the image tend to look sharper compare to Olympus lens and while the AF more faster it's not always register to shot (it might be due to the pen shutter lag) but with a few practice I think you can manage.

6. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    OK thanks for more feedback. I shoot primes all the time with my 5D so that doesn't bother me at all.

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Yes I would agree with that. I've used mine on all the Pens and its excellent. Panasonic cameras will "correct" some distortions and CA the Olympus won't but in real terms its insignificant.

8. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    I bought the 20mm in Feb and I rarely take it off anymore. Probably the best lens I've ever owned.