Using Olympus OM-D with Yongnuo 560 ii and the Vivitar 283 flash.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bangonthedoortwice, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bangonthedoortwice

Bangonthedoortwice Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    As the title states, i am trying to find out whether i can use my Olympus OM-D with Yongnuo 560 ii flash (key) and the Vivitar 283 flash as a slave/fill light.

Do i just need this? Hama Slave Unit Hot Shoe Contact: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

There is some information on the net and various forums but i don't understand or the lingo so i am hoping somebody could point out what it is i need for it to work, if it can work at all as i hear the 283 flash is a great strong performer.

My Yongnuo flash is great, fires rapidly without problem on the OM-D and i want to use the Vivitar to manipulate light from another direction, or is it better to just buy another Yongnuo and some triggers?

Plain english simple terminology if you can,

Any info would be of much help...

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The Vivitar is an old flash that have trigger voltage greater then 24V.
    You can use remote slave unit but you need to connect using PC cord.
    In the Amazon page they state that Vivitar 283 got slave mode but i could not find the button. If you have the flash documentation you can check for slave support

3. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Thanks elavon, appreciated. Yes, i hear they were really and still are popular.
    I am trying to use some of my 35mm equipment with my digital gear. I thought i could have it trigger when i use my Yongnuo flash if i bought something like the link i attached and just use it manual etc

4. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    See if you can find a Vivitar 285. It has a low trigger voltage. The 283 we measured was very high.

5. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Thanks marcsitkin! It's just that i have the 283 already so if i was to buy a cheap alternative i would go for another Yongnuo for only £47 del. Then i would look for a trigger to work with the OM-D and them because i think at the moment we can't buy trigger that just pops on the OM-D and works right off the batt.

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I got my 285 for $35 at a camera store. Cheaper than a trigger! Can you go with an optical slave on the 283 off camera? Or do you need wirelesss?

7. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    How awesome! $35 isn't much at all. Well Wireless is how i want to go, i just thought i could have something attached to the Vivitar that would make it 'fire' when the other flash did as i have the Flash being unused.

I've always used natural light, early morning/golden hour for my shots but now bought a little studio setup and wanted a second flash just to try. Thanks though.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I use an old Vivitar with a radio trigger and set the Yongnuo to slave off the Vivitar. My Vivitar won't slave optically.

For reference if you have not got it already.

Also note that the Vivitar SB-4 AC power adapter will come in very handy if you are so inclined.

9. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Thanks! I think this is exactly what i wanted.

Is it really as simple as fixing this onto the bottom of the vivitar and when my Yongnuo flashes, so will the flash connected to the slave flash?

Thanks, again. I think i have been overlooking it now oops.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    • Like Like x 1
  12. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You've mostly already got your answer, but thought I'd expand.

There are several different ways to trigger flashes off-camera. The most common are:

a sync cable

This connects to ports or hotshoes on the camera and on the flash to relay the "fire" signal. The OM-D does not have a sync port, so would require a hotshoe adapter, the 560ii has a PC port, and the Vivitar has a proprietary Vivitar sync port. And you'd need a splitter to fire both flashes this way, so this probably isn't a good method for the gear combo you've got.

"dumb" optical slaves

This is a sensor that when it sees a flash burst, sends out the "fire" signal to the flash either through a sync port connection or the flash's hotshoe. The slave you linked to is one of these. The trouble is, the OM-D has no built-in flash to trigger slaves, so one of the flashes has to be on the hotshoe to trigger the other. The 283 has no built-in slave, but you can add one either on the hotshoe or the sync port, and the YN-560ii has built-in slave modes that can be set to ignore a pre-flash. The 283 on the hotshoe (if its sync voltage is safe) as key, could then trigger the YN-560 ii as fill this way.

The "preflash" can sometimes cause an optical slave to trigger too early, so make sure that your slaves can work with a preflash, or that you're shooting with the flashes in Manual mode so you don't emit one.

Also, the master burst of light must be "seen" by the sensor on the flash, so you need line of sight: that is, there must be nothing obstructing the light of the first flash burst from the slave sensor. For example, you can't tuck the flash behind a door. And this works better indoors (with bounce surfaces) that outside.

radio triggers

Radio triggers eliminate the issues of line-of-sight and range when used outside. They're also relatively low cost these days, so most of us go to this system when shooting with manual flashes. The Cactus V5 or Yongnuo RF-602 triggers are good low-cost solutions. The Yongnuo RF-603 triggers should probably be avoided, though, since they don't sit properly on a mft hotshoe and require wiring modifications to work.

In this case, you'd need one transmitter unit on the camera hotshoe, and two receiver units--one on each flash--to get both lights off-camera. Yongnuo, btw, has just come out with the YN-560III, which has an RF-602/603-compatible slave unit built into the speedlight.

One more note: make sure you know the sync voltage of your Vivitar 283. The RF-602 triggers can only take 11V on the hotshoe. The Cactus V5s can take 300V. Some of the older 283s and 285s have been measured in excess of 300V.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I've done what you are asking using a GH-2 and a Paul C Buff Cybersync radio trigger on a Canon 540EZ as the key and an optical slave on a Vivitar 283. I've measured the trigger voltage on the Vivitar and it came out to about 284V. I used an optical slave connected to a cord with a hotshoe for triggering but it seems FlashZebra now has one for directly connecting to Vivitar flashes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Wow, great! Thanks for all the info. You've all been so helpful.

I think when i first started researching how to do what i wanted, i saw this Better Family Photos: Yongnuo RF-603 + Olympus OM-D and thought this could be the way to go. Having read all your advice, i think now it is possible to hook up the Vivitar 283.

I also have learnt, i don't know much about flashes! i have been using the Yongnuo as my key light but on camera, just one flash basically for splash type photography (not sure on the correct terminology here guys) where i drop an object in to a glass of fluid etc anyway, had good results but will want to move on now to studio lighting.

Thanks for all your help again, i'll let you know my final outcome.

15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    • Like Like x 1
  16. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin