1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Olympus Cameras for Street Shooting by Gavin Hoey

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Apr 13, 2016.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    For those of you wondering about using the Olympus series for street photography here is a demonstration you might enjoy. Note his comments on moving the focus point and his method of anchoring the camera for long exposures. I have experienced the problems he mentions about not moving the focusing point back after the shot is taken. :shakehead:

Here is a gravity defying experiment he did.

How about an experiment with LED lights. What camera is the model holding in this video?

Every morning while having breakfast I watch one of Gavin's 90 plus Youtube videos.:coffee-30: What I like about his presentations is that he does the shot then demonstrates how he runs them through the development process. While he does work in RAW, please note that most of the adjustments he makes are also available when working with JPEG images. Sometime in mid 2015 he switched to using Olympus for most of his video’s. Prior to that he used one of several Canon cameras.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Just seen this, it's always interesting to see the differences in how people shoot street. Of note was the fact that the shutter speed was always kept around 1/80, even during the day. I do wonder whether having a cameraman may have made it maybe a little bit easier, but notwithstanding that, a very good video.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Seems a complicated way to defy gravity. Since he was faking the multiple bulbs using Photoshop anyway why not simply take them all without the model, take the model standing up normally, and then add all the bulb images on top using Photoshop?

PS. I don't understand why this is called street shooting when it is in a studio?

5. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

@CWRailman@CWRailman ... Great links to Gavin's vids... I had my first Coffee/Photo session with one of his videos this morning as a result... thoroughly enjoyed it and will be putting it to use today... Looking forward to morning coffee now more than ever... thanks again!

6. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I too really enjoyed the market vid. Haven`t watched any others but I am sitting down now
    and gonna watch a few. Loved the way he did the B+W conversion made it look easy.
    Cheers.