1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Using Metz 50-AF1 with EPM2 on RC

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photodan1, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I have posted on DPR also but I have not been able to get the flash to expose properly. I have the flash set on the SL setting, A and 1. The camera is set on mode A, group 1 and ttl. The onboard flash and the Metz both fire but the onboard flash is all that seems to be affecting the exposure and it is underexposed by 2-3 stops. Manual exposure 1/160 at f 5.6. Any ideas why it wouldn't work?

2. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have the same flash with an E-PL2. It usually works pretty accurately for me, within the limits of variation for subject reflectance and metering (spot, matrix, center weight...).

Can you give some more specifics with the situation where you find it underexposing? I.e., are you bouncing? Could it be that the flash output is maxed out? Try a situation where you feel that it's underexposed, then switch it to manual in the RC menu and set it to 1/1 power. Compare the results.

You can also try playing around with the different AE metering modes and see if that helps you out.

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    I am shooting straight on, no bounce, in a small room that the Metz would be more than capable of filling, even at ISO 200 where I had it set. I tried the manual settings on the camera and the Metz didn't fire at all.

I really need for it to work on the TTL setting which is about all I would use it on. I have studio strobes to use for all the manual settings.

Thanks for responding. Let me know if anything jumps out at you.

Dan

4. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    So this is what you have on camera? I get no external flash when camera is set to auto in the rc menu. All others work perfectly. Have you done firmware upgrades on both?

Attached Files:

5. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    That is how I had it set up. I don't think that the camera firmware upgrade affects this but I didn't think of the flash firmware. I will give that a try if I can figure out how to do it.

I'll keep you posted when I find out and thanks again!

6. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Here's the link,
    mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital: Metz

Per the revision history, they have changed the wakeup function and tuned the recharge speed when shooting continuously.

I had another question to ask since it seems that everything else is right. Please forgive the rather obvious nature of the question. Look at the LCD side of the flash, right above the hot shoe mount. It should say "for Oly". Does it?

7. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    It is the Olympus version;)

8. JSI

JSI New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2012
    What's the flash setting on the camera (right hand button on the four way dial)? Setting it on "auto" works on my E-P3 and the Metz in RC mode.

9. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like manual from OP. Not a bad to try various modes and see if anything works. Additionally iAuto doesn't work in RC mode for my E-PL2.

10. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    I don't have it with me right now but it should be on auto, that is what I usually use with the clip on flash. I will check it out when I get home.

11. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    <del>Give it a try in Program Auto, Shutter/Aperture Priority, and Manual as well.</del>

I thought you meant shooting mode rather than flash mode. Shooting mode is manual correct? Try setting flash mode to fill.

12. JSI

JSI New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2012
    I would try different combinations of both shooting and flash modes. For me, A/S shooting modes combined with auto flash mode work.

13. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Did you ever make any progress on this?

14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    Due to work issues I haven't had a chance to work with it anymore. I will get back on it but it will probably be late next week. Thanks to everyone for your help! I will update.

15. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    Ok folks, I'm back at it and having the same problem.

Camera settings in RC menu:
    A TTL Flash/FP set for flash
    B__ Lo
    C__. Channel 1
    (Camera icon) __

Flash menu
    SL. Group A. Channel 1.

When I fire, the Metz fires slightly but doesn't add to the exposure. If I reduced the output of the on camera flash it results in a lesser exposure and the Metz is still giving a slight flash but it doesn't reach the subject. Tried various power settings on the onboard flash including 1/1 and 1/64. It effects the onboard flash output but the Metz doesnt expose the subject.

Also have the camera flash setting from the SCP menu set to auto.

Also did the firmware upgrade on the flash

Any ideas anyone?

16. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    I'll jump in here. This is an ongoing problem with Metz flashes and Oly cameras from the OMD forward. It only causes problems when using the Metz in RC mode. I've spoken to the Metz dealer here in Canada, he said Metz is aware of this and working on fixing it, but it's been months since that conversation and no firmware updates have come from Metz.

I suspected it was an issue with new flash communication on the OMD, because the results were fine with my EPM1. I also tried a different copy of the flash and it had the same issues. I think it's safe to assume that the epm2 and epl5 share the same flash communication changes the OMD had.

Presently, the answer is your out of luck until Metz releases a firmware update to solve the problem. If you need additional details I'm happy to provide them.

17. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Dan
    Thanks for the update. Now at least I know I'm not incompetent!

18. OMD EM1

OMD EM1 New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2015
    Dubai
    I have an OMD-EM1 which I use with 2 Metz 64's.

To overcome this problem I have placed an IR filter over the front of the FL-LM2 flash (the little flash that comes with the camera). I cut a Cokin gelatin filter by scoring the top and breaking it over the edge of the table, and then filing the edges, and finally taping the filter onto the front of the flash.

So, why should this work? I read that all digital cameras have an IR filter in front of the sensor so that only visible light is recorded. Therefore, controlling the flash in the IR spectrum means that it doesn't contribute to the image.

Flash.

S-1.