Using magnification on EM5 for wildlife photo's

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ardy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi I do a fair bit of underwater photography and bird shots. I stumbled on the magnification and 1/2 shutter control with iS to improve my focus and ensure the eye is in focus. I have tested it and it proves how good Olympus IS really is. I am a bit excited by the prospect of being able to improve my shots.

Anyone else using this method and what issues have you had using it. I assume that I can get the speed up with practice so that I don't lose too many shots by messing around with the extra button presses.

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Nope. For landscape I pick the specific AF point per shot. For wildlife I try to get either a block of AF points on the head or a single point on an eye. No time to zoom in with wildlife.

3. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi mcasan - How do you 'get a block of AF points' is this something you pre-set or just use all AF points and ensure enough are on the head?

In UW photography, single point focus is the 'standard' for most divers.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    In E-M1 you set AF to use all the AF points in the screen, a block of 9 points that you can move around, a single point or a extra small point. For large animals moving fast I use the block of points aimed at the head. If there is plenty of time, a single point put on an animal's eye is great.......if there is plenty of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I am not familiar with the 1/2 shutter control, but I use the magnification all the time when using manual focus. I think its a great feature. Occasionally I will also use the Focus Peaking.

6. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Sorry this is getting embarrasing but what is focuc peaking?

7. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks a lot, I have seen these groups now you point it out. Never used it as I had little understanding of what it could be good for.
    Will try it with my bird stuff

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The EM5 (version 1) doesn't have focus peaking. I've only seen this feature in a GM1, which doesn't have an EVF.

I would prefer the magnification in an EVF, but underwater in a box, focus peaking would be superior.

9. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Focus peaking is a feature wherein the camera puts a coloured outline around the parts of the image it thinks are in focus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.