Using magnification on EM5 for wildlife photo's

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ardy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi I do a fair bit of underwater photography and bird shots. I stumbled on the magnification and 1/2 shutter control with iS to improve my focus and ensure the eye is in focus. I have tested it and it proves how good Olympus IS really is. I am a bit excited by the prospect of being able to improve my shots.

Anyone else using this method and what issues have you had using it. I assume that I can get the speed up with practice so that I don't lose too many shots by messing around with the extra button presses.

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Nope. For landscape I pick the specific AF point per shot. For wildlife I try to get either a block of AF points on the head or a single point on an eye. No time to zoom in with wildlife.

3. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi mcasan - How do you 'get a block of AF points' is this something you pre-set or just use all AF points and ensure enough are on the head?

In UW photography, single point focus is the 'standard' for most divers.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    In E-M1 you set AF to use all the AF points in the screen, a block of 9 points that you can move around, a single point or a extra small point. For large animals moving fast I use the block of points aimed at the head. If there is plenty of time, a single point put on an animal's eye is great.......if there is plenty of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I am not familiar with the 1/2 shutter control, but I use the magnification all the time when using manual focus. I think its a great feature. Occasionally I will also use the Focus Peaking.

6. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Sorry this is getting embarrasing but what is focuc peaking?

7. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks a lot, I have seen these groups now you point it out. Never used it as I had little understanding of what it could be good for.
    Will try it with my bird stuff

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The EM5 (version 1) doesn't have focus peaking. I've only seen this feature in a GM1, which doesn't have an EVF.

I would prefer the magnification in an EVF, but underwater in a box, focus peaking would be superior.

9. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Focus peaking is a feature wherein the camera puts a coloured outline around the parts of the image it thinks are in focus.