Using M10 IBIS while on a monopod

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WithOpenedEyes, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Conventional wisdom tells us to turn off IBIS while using a tripod, but how about when using a monopod? You're getting most of the solid support of a tripod, but it's not perfect. There's still some motion involved. It would be great if Oly would set up a monopod mode, with IBIS active only in 2 planes. For reference, I've been using IBIS in the Auto setting. Lens being used is the Pan 45-150. Anyone have some input regarding this? Thanks in advance.
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Using a monopod, in general, I'd leave IBIS on unless you know you have have absolutely perfect technique and hands as steady as a rock. A monopod helps with stability but is not vibration-free like a good tripod.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Why don't you just try it on and off and see if you notice any difference?
  4. I had tried that and really couldn't arrive at a clear answer...other than it didn't matter much. But then I thought it would be smart to get some other thoughts and opinions and advice before going off half cocked...which is often my downfall.
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Short answer: I think there is no need to disable IBIS on a tripod, even less with a monopod (except to save batteries). Olympus does not recommend to turn it off.

Long one: a few days ago I took 10 shots with the 75-300 at 300 on tripod, self timer 12s anti shock 0, raw, half with ibis on, half off. The shutter speed was two seconds (there was not much light). Probably one of the worst situations.
    After carefully pixel-peeping three of the IBIS shots had an almost invisible blur: I had to make a before/after comparison moving the curtain back and forth to convince myself.
    I did the same with the Oly 60, f4, 1/4 second and could find no differences, maybe one of the Oly shots without IBIS had this micro hint of blur.

I used AF because the tripod is not sturdy enough to manually focus without moving the camera too much so those slight differences could be just AF differences.
  6. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Yeah, why would I turn IBIS/ shake reduction off if using a tripod? I do not understand why this is conventional wisdom. Is it?
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I leave IBIS on all the time except when doing video.
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I leave IBIS on when using a monopod. I've created a my set for tripod work that has IBIS turned off. Unfortunately I rarely remember to swith to this myset! So far, no issues with IBIS on at all times. I also have zero second anti-shock on.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It sounds to me like you answered your own question... It doesn't matter. Keep using it until you find an application where it does matter and you will know for future reference how to use it.
  10. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I second that question - can someone explain conventional wisdom?
  11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Any reason why you disable ibis when shooting video?
  12. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    Well, it isn't just "conventional wisdom". My E-M5 manual states "when using a tripod, set image stabiliser to off" (p.49). I still don't know why, though!
  13. Right from the M1O manual pg. 61..."When using a tripod, set [Image Stabilizer] to [OFF]" It's even recommended to shut it off if using a high enough shutter speed. I thought there was some kind of issue when the high frequency oscillations in the IS system were applied in a camera that was locked down. Something about it causing more of a problem than it fixes. And to answer Slothead's post, I figured it would be smarter to ask a bunch of guys that probably have way more experience with this group of cameras than I do. And probably more efficient than mucking around for who knows how long trying different settings. The thing is that I appreciate good input from experienced people...and that's why I come to this forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Some guy said you should turn off IS if you are shooting at really fast speeds. I usually shoot as fast as light allows,keeping ISO at 200. Is this conventional wisdom or what? I get really sharp pictures with my M43 cameras, just about any old way.
  15. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Same reason I am here :) hence the question about why IBIS should be off when using a tripod. I would like to understand why, seems people have different experiences.
  16. Why use it when it's not needed? If there's sufficient there should a tripod mounting system, what would the point be of using IS? For tripod usage, it's pretty clear cut. It's not-so-perfect stability on a monopod that I'm curious about, although I do recognize that many tripods offer less than perfect stability also.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Thanks - just what I was looking for, a simple explanation, mu-43 wins again :)

For me this comes down to two things 1) I Forget (either to turn off or turn to back on) 2) I am lazy and if I dont absolutely have to, then id rather not:)
  18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I think there is a big value in testing things directly and it doesn't take that much time in most cases. There could be a lot of difference in how people shot, what lenses they use, subject distance (macro or landscape?), program used to process the raw and expectations. I always learn a few things when I do it.
    And people can also remember the wrong things like myself with the manual indication. My tripod is not so steady, I would definitely use IBIS if I were not using self-timer.

With old IS system you had to disable IS on tripod, modern ones "detect" the tripod and no longer require to do this. Never heard of IBIS/tripod problems, maybe happens only for a few specific conditions (heavy tripod, light wind, etc.).

To answer "Why use it when it's not needed?" I could say: why worry about one more thing when it's not needed? Risking to forget it when you take the camera off, etc.
  19. I wish there was a button that could be configured to quickly turn on/off IS. Yes, I realize it's there in the SCP. This whole thing is something that will have to wait till I have more time to try stuff. But this makes me wonder what how we made it through so many years of shooting film without it.