Using HHHR as Live ND

Enoch

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Enoch Haven
Hello All, I have been doing some experimenting, and it appears that at times you can use the Hand Held High Resolution feature for waterfalls AND get a Live ND effect. It's not perfect and it isn't as consistent as the regular Live ND feature, but it sometimes works. Here is an example of a waterfall I shot yesterday using the HHHR feature. On a related topic, I enjoy using the Live ND feature for this effect and have also gotten good images handheld.
P4221422-denoise-denoise.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SaintMovies

Mu-43 Rookie
I mean it should be possible depending on the amount of light in the scene where you can stop down and drag the shutter while using HHHR... or use an external ND filter with HHHR

Real Name
Ovidiu
I have tried using HHHR for motion trails but it’s not always a good result because you are trying to push a system to do something that was not designed and it will fight you. What I mean is that HHHR will try to average the exposure and the light between each shot so in theory this will drag motion if it’s long enough with each frame but the system will also try to correct for motion so it will introduce artefacts around the motion. And 50 MP and reasonable distance (for prints) / zoom level it might not be noticeable, but cropping can bring them out.

In terms of useful application for this idea, I believe, that you need pretty long shutter speeds to defeat the motion correction of HHHR, personally I found the 1” to 3” to work quite well, but mind you at this long speed you need to think that it’s 16 frames at 1 second each so stability is paramount, a good technique like controlled breathing, camera close to the body, position of the legs. Also it works best with wide angles, I use this between 12mm and 25mm. For water flow and vegetation movement it works pretty well (the more varied the motion the higher the success to break the motion correction) ... for light trails it’s very rarely to get decent results so I stopped trying on that, Live ND would give higher success rate and better IQ.

Enoch

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Enoch Haven
I have tried using HHHR for motion trails but it’s not always a good result because you are trying to push a system to do something that was not designed and it will fight you. What I mean is that HHHR will try to average the exposure and the light between each shot so in theory this will drag motion if it’s long enough with each frame but the system will also try to correct for motion so it will introduce artefacts around the motion. And 50 MP and reasonable distance (for prints) / zoom level it might not be noticeable, but cropping can bring them out.

In terms of useful application for this idea, I believe, that you need pretty long shutter speeds to defeat the motion correction of HHHR, personally I found the 1” to 3” to work quite well, but mind you at this long speed you need to think that it’s 16 frames at 1 second each so stability is paramount, a good technique like controlled breathing, camera close to the body, position of the legs. Also it works best with wide angles, I use this between 12mm and 25mm. For water flow and vegetation movement it works pretty well (the more varied the motion the higher the success to break the motion correction) ... for light trails it’s very rarely to get decent results so I stopped trying on that, Live ND would give higher success rate and better IQ.
This is some really helpful stuff. Thank you!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom