Using grad and ND filters

Real Name
Steve
Looking through some photography stuff I had bought for essential use, and never used, I came across a set of Kood square filters and a holder that are P mount. The adapter fits some of my m4/3 lenses.

I'm kind of going back to basics and trying to change my normal scattergun approach to photography, where I shoot and hope, then try to salvage something in PS.

Watching a few YT vids on landscape ( I'm very poor at this but would like to improve), some photographers, who's style I like, seem to use filters.

I would welcome opinions.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My opinion, is, it is much better to take one good pic, than twenty average pics. And filters help a lot, especially grad filters. I like the stronger ones, 4 stops, I think. Blown out skies, really suck. I have the cokiin p filters. I like them. Don’t cost much, easy to use, work all good.
Lately I’ve been playing with a 10 stop one. I am still realising the possibilities, but I like what it does. Capture an image that our eyes can’t see!
I have the Polaroid filter on maybe half of the time. My pics are usually better for it.
I do the same scattergun technique, almost always, complete waste of time. Got to learn to relax, slow that mustang down....

Last edited:

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I recommend HiTech filters. Good quality, reasonable prices and come in MU-43 size 67x85mm. These fit standard Cokin C filter holders which are like <$5 on ebay. Haida make good screw in filters too for long exposure. They take up very little room in a camera bag.

ND Grad Soft Edge Resin Filter Kit

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Looking through some photography stuff I had bought for essential use, and never used, I came across a set of Kood square filters and a holder that are P mount. The adapter fits some of my m4/3 lenses.

I'm kind of going back to basics and trying to change my normal scattergun approach to photography, where I shoot and hope, then try to salvage something in PS.

Watching a few YT vids on landscape ( I'm very poor at this but would like to improve), some photographers, who's style I like, seem to use filters.

Hey welcome to the club or scattergun shooters!

I have the same problem. In addition to filters I never much got into using tripods or even monopods and some filters, depending on what you are shooting and the effect you are looking for, kind of need a tripod as well.

Last year I went to Iceland and decided a decent tripod and square filter set was needed so I invested in both. I also put into use a larger polarizing filter and solid ND round filters I bought YEARS ago and also never used. Short story is I tended to try and put into use the filters more than I did the tripod. One problem that was on some of the days we took bus tours and so at certain locations I really didn't have the time to slow down, set up, and try stuff. Not being used to working with graduated ND filters some of it was me learning a bit on the fly and having to experiment with settings rather than kind of knowing what to start with.

I did find the use of the ND and grad ND filters to be very beneficial for types of photography (landscape and waterfall shots in particular for that trip), but I was still shooting rather scattergun and now know if I go back again I will try to visit fewer places for longer periods to allow more time to slow down and shoot well. But more importantly I need to get out more locally with the tripod & filters and just play and learn more to gain experience for future vacations were I might again be in time sensitive situations and would like to be able to setup to shoot already 90% set to what I envision shooting and only need minor corrections.

One tip, I did find when I didn't have a lot of time or was constantly moving (so no time for proper tripod shooting) or maybe didn't want to carry around a lot of extra stuff, even a single graduated ND filter handheld in front of my lens (skipping the whole holder setup) was a quick and dirty way of getting some level of graduated ND for certain shots without having to keep attaching and detaching a filter system when I was also shooting stuff that didn't need it. Even at hand held shutter speeds and a weaker filter held in front did make a significant improvement for certain types of shots. With a zoom lens, the process was something like, frame the shot adjusting the zoom to where I wanted, then using the zoom hand to now instead grab the filter and hold it up in front of the lens where it is extremely simple to shift or rotate the lens to put it where you want it in the scene, and then shoot.

Real Name
Steve
Hey welcome to the club or scattergun shooters!

I have the same problem. In addition to filters I never much got into using tripods or even monopods and some filters, depending on what you are shooting and the effect you are looking for, kind of need a tripod as well.

Last year I went to Iceland and decided a decent tripod and square filter set was needed so I invested in both. I also put into use a larger polarizing filter and solid ND round filters I bought YEARS ago and also never used. Short story is I tended to try and put into use the filters more than I did the tripod. One problem that was on some of the days we took bus tours and so at certain locations I really didn't have the time to slow down, set up, and try stuff. Not being used to working with graduated ND filters some of it was me learning a bit on the fly and having to experiment with settings rather than kind of knowing what to start with.

I did find the use of the ND and grad ND filters to be very beneficial for types of photography (landscape and waterfall shots in particular for that trip), but I was still shooting rather scattergun and now know if I go back again I will try to visit fewer places for longer periods to allow more time to slow down and shoot well. But more importantly I need to get out more locally with the tripod & filters and just play and learn more to gain experience for future vacations were I might again be in time sensitive situations and would like to be able to setup to shoot already 90% set to what I envision shooting and only need minor corrections.

One tip, I did find when I didn't have a lot of time or was constantly moving (so no time for proper tripod shooting) or maybe didn't want to carry around a lot of extra stuff, even a single graduated ND filter handheld in front of my lens (skipping the whole holder setup) was a quick and dirty way of getting some level of graduated ND for certain shots without having to keep attaching and detaching a filter system when I was also shooting stuff that didn't need it. Even at hand held shutter speeds and a weaker filter held in front did make a significant improvement for certain types of shots. With a zoom lens, the process was something like, frame the shot adjusting the zoom to where I wanted, then using the zoom hand to now instead grab the filter and hold it up in front of the lens where it is extremely simple to shift or rotate the lens to put it where you want it in the scene, and then shoot.

That's a great and detailed answer! I'm off to the Lake District soon and I've bought a new travel tripod and will take my filter set, along with my so transportable m4/3 gear. I'll take everybody's tips on board and hopefully come back with some thought out shots, I'll then compare them to my scattergun style and see which one wins:)

@Bushboy I have an N4 grad and that may be my go to.. @Wisertime I already have a set of untried filters, if they tick the boxes I'll certainly go down the route of more premium stuff, I won't look too much into detail, just the overall feel and balance of the shots.

Not much excites me nowadays (although a stiffy might, LOL) but since crossing the great divide from FF to m4/3, something inside has inspired me to learn a bit more and give an old old hobby a new burst of life.

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's a great and detailed answer! I'm off to the Lake District soon and I've bought a new travel tripod and will take my filter set, along with my so transportable m4/3 gear. I'll take everybody's tips on board and hopefully come back with some thought out shots, I'll then compare them to my scattergun style and see which one wins:)

@Bushboy I have an N4 grad and that may be my go to.. @Wisertime I already have a set of untried filters, if they tick the boxes I'll certainly go down the route of more premium stuff, I won't look too much into detail, just the overall feel and balance of the shots.

Not much excites me nowadays (although a stiffy might, LOL) but since crossing the great divide from FF to m4/3, something inside has inspired me to learn a bit more and give an old old hobby a new burst of life.
One of the fringe benefits of using filters etc, is that it makes you think further into the shot you are preparing to make.You are actually taking into consideration a more cause and effect attitude.IMHO I see adds below for filters surprise! Maybe if you mention it to your mate on the phone pinterest can chime in,LOL:hiding:

Latest threads

Top Bottom