1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using gaffers tape to partially water resist camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rpringle, Apr 16, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I know that some photographers use camo or black gaffers tape for wildlife setups. But I was wondering if you could use it to partially water resist the cracks and crevices on camera gear as well? Even on the E-M5 and E-M1 most M43 lenses wont be sealed. Would using gaffers tape around the bayonet end of the lens help at all? As well as places on a non sealed body like a pen, such as the popup flash, battery door, and the seam on the bottom of the evf?

More of a curiosity question as I have never used gaffers tape so I don't know what it's properties are as far as water resistance. On my last outing with my E-P5 I was most concerned about water getting between the lens mount, inside the pop up flash, and the hot shoe.

2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It *could* resist water, but no person other than youself could tell you whether it would or not. Perhaps you could test with some non-valuables such as taping together some waste empty bottles and submerging them to see if any water gets in? These things are all about confidence and convincing yourself that the solution presented will meet your requirements

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't know about gafers tape, but I can tell you the method of weather resistance for a camera that I learned. It was from my first ever photography professor when we were taking photos in the parking lot and it started to lightly rain. He pulled out a thick clear plastic bag that had a round hole cut near the bottom which was slightly smaller than the diameter of his lens so he could put his camera in the bag and attach it to the lens by a step filter adapter.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NO! Gaff tape will loose it's stickness when wet. I have heard of some guys using waterproof medical tape for this in combination with ziplock bags.

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Don't use gaffer tape. Rather, get a JJC hood for your 40-150mm lens and then a cheap clear plastic bag that is sold in a photo store as a rain cover. Rubber band the hole around the lens hood of your 40-150 lens with the bag to form a tight seal. The other end acts as a flap to cover the EVF and display. I used it many times and it protects my gear. The lens hood acts as an umbrella for the front element so it won't get water spots. In fact this is how most pros shoot even with a D4 or EOS 1dx just to be safe.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Not a bad price ether.
    If someone goes that way , can you post a photo of the camera with the coat on and give a review? I would be interested in that.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If need something like that, just buy a cheap raincoat with elasticized cuffs and cut off a sleeve to suit. With a m4/3 camera, the upper part of the sleeve should easily cover the entire camera if desired.

9. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    If you like the DIY method, rubber bands and a trash bag with a hole for the lens. This weather proofs the combination a bit but not waterproof it. Waterproofing implies that you need to be able to submerge the camera and only housings really do that.

Oh also, don't use gaffers tape as it really won't do the job, gorilla tape would be better suited but you might not be able to get it off the camera.

10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I would also suggest to use clear plastic bag, instead of using any kind of tape on any recent Oly body, our paint ain't all that durable to begin with really

11. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. The lenscoat site reminds of an idea I had ages ago about cutting a hole in a dry bag as a rain cover. The problem I've always found with ordinary plastic bags is that almost always I find holes in them no matter what. And when damp they tend to stick to the camera. The other problem I have with dry bags are that if I don't plan ahead I don't bring the bag. Like the other day when I photographed the rafters that was completely unplanned and just happened to have my camera in the car. I suppose I can just as easily stick my dry back in my car as well.

I have since bought a JJC hood and filter for my 40-150mm lens as well. I hadn't before because it was such a cheap lens I didn't think I'd bother.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    ZipLoc 1 gallon freezer storage bag; cut hole in bag for lens access.

In a pinch on holiday a shower cap (generally free at hotel/motel).

With my Nikon gear I had something very close to the "Lenscoat", albeit by another vendor and the bag was in black. I rarely used it but it was light enough to keep in the bag.

With the Olympus gear I just toss a ZipLoc or three into the Domke and call it good. Handy for protecting camera from condensation when changing environments as well.

But for serious, planned outdoor shooting I think I too would vote for the "Lenscoat".

Regards,

Jim