1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Four Thirds Telephoto lenses on the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MB100, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MB100

MB100 New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2013
    I need to have a lightweight telephoto system for the moment, and the OM-D along with the four thirds adapter and the 150mm f/2.0, 90-250mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 lenses and the teleconverters seems to fit the bill.

Can any users of the system / these lenses comment on the accuracy and speed of the autofocus using these lenses with the adapter on the mft body, as well as with the teleconverters, if this changes anything. I have read some places online that you loose some of the AF capabilities of the OM-D when you are using the adapter and these lenses,

help would be greatly appreciated since I know very little about these systems. Also any comments on using these telephotos on the mft body would be welcome, I shoot the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 APO and 500mm f/4.5 APO lenses along with a 2x TC on my PhaseOne, and have shot telephoto's on my Nikons. I also shoot Leica and Hasselblad and this will be my first foray into smaller-then-full frame sensor formats so help would be greatly appreciated.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Those lenses are supposed to be awesome. I've only used the 14-54mkII, 50-200 SWD and the 70-300 with an EM5. I'm pretty sure the AF on an m4/3 body will be next to worthless with those lenses as it is with the 50-200 and, to a lesser extent, the 70-300. You'll probably be MF' ing most of the time.

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have an Oly 50/200 f2.8 designed for the 43 format. It is not light weight.It is not fast focusing,(A strange mania people on this site seem to be seized by.)
    But holly cow, I used it on my Panny GH-2 and it was razor sharp,hand held with no IS at 200mm. Oh sure it took a second to focus and lenses made for the M-43 format are faster focusing but longer focal length lenses generally do have to search to focus more than shorter lenses in any case. And if they have any speed they are generally not light.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    My experience was slow AF that often missed focus with the 50-200, especially, and 70-300, 25% of the time. But the optics on the 50-200 are excellent. The lens you are asking about are supposed to be the same or better.

5. MB100

MB100 New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like I might just have to rent them and see for myself even though it sounds like they will be fine as long as they somewhat-competantly auto-focus, I don't need it to be instantaneous, I like to confirm through the VF (or I guess now EVF) focus before taking a picture anyway. I don't expect the camera to focus instantly as a press the shutter button down anyway.

And I should rephrase to "relatively small compared to alternatives", I.e a 150mm f/2.0 lens which is equivlent to either a 300mm f/2.0 lens (crop factor) or a 600mm f/4.0 lens which is certainly smaller then either of those lenses on say my Nikon system. and then the same logic applies for the 300mm f/2.8, which seems to be about average size for a 300mm f/2.8 (compared to Nikon, Canon, my Mamiya) which I consider medium weight but for the range it covers its small by my standards on the OM-D.

Any thoughts on using something like the Metabones speedbooster (or another AF capable adapter) with Nikon G glass, like the 200mm f/2.0 VRII or the 300mm f/2.8 VRII will these focus as good or better in anyway then the olympus lenses on the MFT body?

6. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I use an Oly 50-200 with my OM-D bodies with an Oly adapter. It works very well.....fast and sharp. I can only guess that I have an exceptional lens.

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have used the 50-200 a lot. Images that have a clear focus are great. Static images with clear contrast are easy to get focus lock on. Low contrast or images with lots of moving contrast are hard to get a good focus on. The lens will often "get it wrong" in these situations. Why do I say the lens? The 12-60 which is also not optimised works better in most situations. If you have static subjects with good contrast these will work well. Low contrast situations or confusing contrast situations can make the lens focus on the wrong spot. Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to tell in the EVF that this is happening. MF works OK, but not all situations work well with MF and you really need a tripod to successfully MF the bigger lenses.

when it is good it is fantastic -

P6010140 by pelicaneng, on Flickr

50-200 @200 F5.6 1/500

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    You can do moving images too, but you have to be careful.

9055861903_7dd71f5eff_b.
    P6150352 by pelicaneng, on Flickr