Using Flickr As A Cloud Backup

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by edwardconde, Sep 13, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just wrote a post on my blog about finding a cloud backup solution that I can use directly from my ipad to the cloud. Here is the beginning of that article...

"Recently, my old workhorse (macbookpro) decided to freak out a bit. Aperture had started to beach ball a lot and could not get into it. When I finally could get in, iCloud Photostream was no longer working. So something got messed up somewhere... Anyhow, while I was working on a fix for my mbpro issues, I started to think how I can I leverage a cloud service (other than iCloud) to back up my images... " Read more at
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    As you mention in your article, Flickr can be used for jpeg storage but the limitation is that it can't store raws. I'm also not clear on whether Flickr, now with the increased storage limits, still applies any compression to image files.
  3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Why not just use a service like crashplan? I couldn't be without it, plus I have access to all my files anytime, anywhere thru the crashplan app on my ipad and iPhone.
  4. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will have to test a download and then compare the images to see if there is much of a difference. I am working on a follow up article specifically looking at my settings on Photosync.

5. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting... I may have to give that a look as a backup to Time Machine.... Right now I am just focusing on the images that I edit and import on my iPad. My macs are old now.. (7yrs) and I am playing with the idea of possibly going iPad only for everything! Cutting the cord from the desktops/laptops... in that case something like crashplan would come in handy..
  6. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    It's practically impossible to calibrate a laptop or tablet screen and many are incapable of reproducing the entire color gamut of even sRGB.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Exactly. I have replaced all my desktop computers with laptops, but I don't do any photo editing without an external monitor.
  8. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    X-Rite appears to be able to calibrate a mac laptop monitor just fine. Are you guys saying the color gamut range is still too small, versus an external monitor?

But back OT, I *am* surprised that anyone would try to do everything with just a tablet, due to the difficulty with calibrating those, limited space and poor support for RAW.
  9. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been working specifically on my tablet for the last 3yrs... It's been the only thing I use and so far so good. JPEG about 95% of the time. My host is a Macbookpro where I do all of my printing. So the reality of going tablet only is not 100%.

Again this is not for everyone... ;)
  10. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm impressed. There are days when I wish I could do it that way....but there are too many desktop features I miss when I try.

That said I sort of do it that way when traveling but also load all the sd cards of raw files onto the computer at home when returning....
  11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks... Yeah.. The only app I ever used for edit on the desktop has been iPhoto. I use aperture now but more for photo management, printing and light edits.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is what I do , I upload from my iPad directly to Flickr . Now the trouble which I face is related to iPhoto. I can't delete edited photos .I use iPhoto for quick touches quite often .I would trust a big service like Flickr more than any unknown service .
  13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah iPhoto has a very weird way of deleting those images. So try this. If you got to iPhoto and then to your edited album. Select a few images then click on the little gear on the right. In the window that pops up you will see a revert button. Press that and the image will be removed from the album. Basically why you are doing is reverting back to the original. So make sure you have saved the edited version. It will place the Original files in an album called Photo box. From there you can delete them. It's a very weird way of deleting these images. I like iPhoto for the straightening tool. It's pretty slick.

Let me know how that works out!
  14. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

A cloud service that you may wish to check out, is MEGA. Yes this is the same fellow Kim Dotcom that founded Megaupload if that bothers you.

He has come back with an encrypted storage service that provides 50GB of cloud space free (at this time there are not really limits). No downloads or plugins are required.

The encryption key is controlled by the user's password. As a result of this, you cannot retrieve or reset your password - so keep it written down somewhere. Mega doesn't keep your password/encryption key at all. If you lose your password, or it's hacked - Mega can't help you. Your files will be no longer be available.

I am currently storing jpg, raw, psd and video files. It is a basic file manager format - where you see all file thumbnails and double click to download. I don't believe that it can sync up to other programs. Uploading is through the file manager.

I used to use Flickr with a pro account, for storage - - - but I found it awkward to see the files I wanted and download them when I needed to - so gave it up. I haven't been to my Flickr account for some time. I guess I'll have to check in and see what is new.

This is how I found out about MEGA (if you care to see the man behind it?): [ame=""][/ame]
    • Like Like x 1
  15. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just signed up and I only have 8GB... I think the promo is over... Owell... still may use it as a dropbox alternative.
  16. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    It also supports PNG files if you want to back up in a lossless format. For some reason it converts TIFF to JPG though.
  17. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I included the wrong link - - - SORRY.

It is

There is no promo for the 50GB. VEry good value and quite fast and effortless to use. I have corrected the link in my original post as well. :drinks:
  18. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Crashplan (which I use)is great for backing up your computer files and being able to download them to the iPad, but you can't backup from the iPad to Crashplan, so it is a one way road.

If I was without a computer, I would probably use Flickr since you can save and show your files. Also, I believe Eye-fi's premium account would work if you are using an Eye-fi card.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    No worries.. Megacloud seems cool too.. I just opened a mega account and moving my personal stuff over...
  20. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for posting this- Photosync seems like exactly the app I need! I have a free 50GB Box account, this will work perfectly. I have multiple Macs and iOS devices so this looks like just the ticket.

I signed up for a Mega account too, but doesn't look like Photosync works with it.

The idea of creating a separate Flickr account just for backups is very good as well.