Using filters (ND, Grad) in the rain

I like using filters ( 100 x 150mm or 100 x 100mm) for landscape photography.
Always when I use them it's on a nice sunny day. To get more interesting photos I would like to shoot with more interesting weather like rain.
To protect the front element of a lens you can use a lenshood. But filters stuck out for the front element and are big.
How to protect the filters from getting wet? Any advice?

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I use the Lee Seven5 filter system, which has an optional hood. Short of that, just carry an umbrella, have a dry cloth on hand, and use a tripod.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
No it isn't. Maybe I can find a way to attach it to the tripod.
But I was hoping that there are some smaller solutions available.
I would not advise attaching the umbrella to the tripod. Just a bit of wind could cause the tripod to shake or shift. I was holding an umbrella during a rainstorm and it was causing me to shake and shift. :)

If there's no other solution, a garbage bag and some gaffer tape might have to do.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But I was hoping that there are some smaller solutions available.
A small umbrella? :rolleyes-38:

I would not advise attaching the umbrella to the tripod. Just a bit of wind could cause the tripod to shake or shift. I was holding an umbrella during a rainstorm and it was causing me to shake and shift. :)
Ya I wasn't either. I mentioned if he was shooting on a tripod with the suggesting thinking more along the lines of having a hand free if you didn't need to hold the camera, you could then hold an umbrella and still fire the shutter on the camera.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Ya I wasn't either. I mentioned if he was shooting on a tripod with the suggesting thinking more along the lines of having a hand free if you didn't need to hold the camera, you could then hold an umbrella and still fire the shutter on the camera.
Hehehe... we all need a third hand sometimes. Pretty hard to work a camera even on a tripod with only one hand. When my wife asks me to do something while I'm fully tasked with something else, I say, "sorry dear, I only have three hands."

But, wherever's there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure that people with only one hand do just fine. I once observed a tennis player who was born with only one hand. He managed to serve and play a good game with that one hand.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was wondering about taking an outdoor umbrella, usually used for shade, but mine is a bit waterproof for a period of time. Bit of a problem to lug the stand around - depends where you're shooting I suppose.

I take an umbrella and kind of hook it between my chin and shoulder. Can't do it for long though.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
This is when you need an interested helper to support you, and carrry the tripod and bag. My wife declines the offer.

MPrince

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt Prince
Nothing lasts forever, and we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to use a filter in a cold and windy rain.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, I could have...but where's the fun in that?

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unless you're using graduated filters, maybe try a circular filter that screws onto the lens. That way you can still use the normal lens hood.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A supermarket plastic bag which conveniently protects filter, lens and camera between shots when parked on a tripod.

An umbrella during exposures.

It's one time when a tripod really is very handy. Most of us (excepting those on the Russian COVID-19 vaccine trial) only have two hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A supermarket plastic bag which conveniently protects filter, lens and camera between shots when parked on a tripod.

An umbrella during exposures.

It's one time when a tripod really is very handy. Most of us (excepting those on the Russian COVID-19 vaccine trial) only have two hands.
Indeed, I think I will make something with old electronic wires (with a hard copper core) and some plastic bag. It doesn't have to look pritty as long as it works.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom