1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using film, I think I might have done it wrong

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by elpanda, Mar 17, 2012.

1. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    The picture pretty much speaks for itself I guess:

P3176740.

:'(

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Doh!

Some good youtube videos on loading film if you need a hand.

3. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I did look at a few videos before loading the first roll, I guess it wasn't enough :-D

I just loaded another one, I think I've done a better job this time, we'll see when the roll is finished :-D

4. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    What happened? Did you have the film locked when you tried to pull the leader out?

I guess a good thing about film is you can go get some more (though for how much longer, who knows).

5. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I think it was when I loaded it somehow since it's the first part of the roll that broke, which means that I have some good unused film trapped inside the roll!

6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Next time try loading the film and wind on a couple of times with the back open to check that it is taking up ok. You will waste a couple of shots this way but is worth it until you are confident.

• Like Like x 1
  7. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Good idea, I wasted a couple of shots after closing the back anyway to try and hear if it was rolling properly!

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There's enough film in the canister to wind a couple of frames with the back open and still get your full 36 or 24.

Fred

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    But if you load it correctly in the dark, you can get 40 (or 28)!

If the camera uses manual film advance though, it's always worthwhile to turn the left spool clockwise as far as you can until you feel resistance (and if you don't get any, reloading the film). Nothing more fun than taking 36 shots and realizing that the film leader wasn't properly bound to the takeup spool, leaving you a still unused roll of film and no photos...

There are tools for recovering lost (or torn) film leaders. Probably not worth it for just one roll though.

DH