1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

using external/manual flash on GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gr6825, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I recently picked up a GF1 and I like it a lot so far. It is mainly a carry-around snapshot camera to compliment my DSLR. However, I am curious whether anybody uses the GF1 with a manual flash? If so, does it work well or are there any complications to doing this? I think I would probably use my Nikon SB-28 on a hot shoe cord.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a small external flash that would work in TTL but support bounce flash?

Thanks.

2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    If you use another manufacturers flash it won't work on TTL and just make sure it isn't too old where there would be power differences that could damage your camera. Any of the Panasonic or Olympus flashes would work and also the aftermarket flashes that are made for ttl on micro 4/3.

I have a Metz AF-44 that I have been happy with. It isn't the biggest Metz but it is still pretty big on my G3 and E-PM1. There are a couple of Chinese manufacturers too that make a decent flash from what I have heard. One of them is Yonguo (sp?). If you stick with a Panasonic or Olympus flash I would recommend Olympus. If you were to ever buy an Olympus body you could use the off camera wireless flash capability with it.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I use both manual and ttl flashes with µ4/3 (not on a GF1, but operation is largely the same with the exception of native remote modes for Olympus bodies with Olympus flashes).

Manual flashes work great, but as Photodan1 points out some older flashes can damage your camera if the trigger voltages exceed 6-12V. According to the following page the SB-28 should be fine: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Using manual flash takes a little bit of work, but not as much as you might think. Use manual mode, set the shutter to 1/250 or slower, pick an ISO, pick a flash output setting, and adjust the aperture/ISO to get the results you want. Once you get going then changes are incremental or unnecessary, it isn't like you need to do the exposure dance for every shot.

I've read that Canon E-TTL compatible cables can be used for µ4/3 flashes to support off-camera TTL flashes, assuming your flash supports TTL.

The Metz 24 AF-1 can bounce (but not swivel). I think there is a TTL variety. It isn't very big, but that's OK too.

Olympus FL-300R flashes are relatively inexpensive at about $100 on the used market. It will bounce but not swivel. I'm selling one here, too. :)

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Considering that you asked about manual flash and intend on using it with a hotshoe cord... the simple answer is:
    YES. It does work well.

Does TTL even have a place in this discussion?

5. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

I've been using a Panasonic G1 with an Olympus FL-50 and an Olympus off-shoe cord. Works great!

6. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses. I have conflicting feelings about manual flash. Sometimes I like the convenience of TTL so I might eventually pick up a small-ish Olympus flash.