Using electronic shutter

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigbob, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    Is there any disadvantage using the electronic shutter? Pro and Con . On the 14-42mm pany lens on side there are 2 switches top for zooming. the bottom seems to do nothing. I read it was for manual focus. Thanks in advance. bigbob

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you asked on the G5 electronic shutter, it got the following limitation:
    1. You can not use flash.
    2. Max ISO is 1600.
    3. Moving subject may get distorted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The main issue with the electronic shutter is that the entire image is not recorded simultaneously. As a result, you may see distortion of moving subjects. This is very similar to the 'jello' effect people see recording video of moving subjects.

As to the Panasonic lens, the bottom switch will let you adjust the focus distance when the camera has been set to manual focus mode.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackwolf

jackwolf New to Mu-43

Dec 12, 2012
    it's seems like points noted here are on the cons.. what is the pros of it btw?

5. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    No use of mechanical shutter - completely quiet (except for lens focusing sounds) and doesn't contribute to your shutter count. Also supposedly eliminates some issues when using the 45-175pz.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The electronic shutter has zero vibration and is silent.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I use the electronic shutter to shot in museums with the P20.
    The silent shutter is a new experience and I enjoy not disturbing other visitors.
    I have also set all the focus beep to off.

8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    There is no true advantage using the electronic shutter as such other than it is completely silent and as mentioned there is no mechanical vibration (from the shutter) that seems to plague some lenses at certain shutter speeds causing a slightly blurred image. I used to use the ES when I first got my camera but have just gone back to using the mech shutter as it's more versatile.

Paul

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I would think a vibrationless shutter would be a real advantage w/ macro or long telephoto lenses or attaching to a micro/telescope.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Possibly but I've not had any vibration issues using the mech shutter with tele or macro lenses, I think mirror vibration could be an issue for macro lenses etc with DSLR cameras which is why they have mirror lock-up but that doesn't apply to mirrorless cameras.
    As long as the subject isn't moving too fast then the ES is fine but with fast moving objects that fill a large portion of the view finder ES is not recommended due to the long read time from the top to the bottom of the sensor.

Paul

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  12. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    I have the battery grip which yield over 1200 shots before power starts to wilt. After 1200 shots on the ES, the first battery still shows full and the second is, of course,unused.

With the BG you could take the camera away for a 1 month holiday and if using the ES never need the charger. Battery life starts to be irrelevant, almost like using an old mechanical shutter film camera.

• Like Like x 2
  13. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This one was taken using the electronic shutter at 1/100 the police officers were walking toward me.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8557445129/" title="The police squad by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8557445129_66c6a92034_b. "1024" height="1024" alt="The police squad"></a>

14. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Electronic Shutter Artifact Example

Not a good photo but check out the bee's wings
    Electronic_shutter_artifact_demo.

15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    ^^ You have hit the E shutter limit of taking picture of moving items.

16. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    That function was installed mainly for time lapse. It is limited up to 1600 iso. As others have pointed out, using this for regular shots may produce images with distortion.
    But, for those of us who might like experimenting with time lapse, and yet want to preserve the life of our shutters, it's quite a nice option.