Using DXO ViewPoint to Correct Distortion

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by entropicremnants, May 5, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I got DXO ViewPoint software for distortion correction while it's on sale for $49 and it's a mixed bag but I'll use it for some things.

For instance, some found the distortion of the ball a problem in the following shot. I thought it was kind of surreal looking, but it wasn't generally appreciated and that's a problem when an image doesn't present like you want it to.

This image and it's derivatives are all taken with a Panasonic G5 and the Lumix 7-14mm f/4 lens.

Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Okay so with the problem stated, I fired up Lightroom and made a virtual copy of the original image and right clicked on "Edit In" and selected "DXO ViewPoint".

Here was my first attempt letting the software select the correction. It completely corrected the roundness of the ball but made the shot into a mild fisheye shot doing it. As a result of the stretching, I lost the top of the arch and that bothered me.

Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever...(alternate edit) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

So I went back in and had another whack at it and reduced the amount of correction in manual. The ball is now not quite round, and the fisheye distortion is less. I also have more of the top of the arch. Not a bad compromise.

I've also made some other editing tweaks. If color/contrast and so forth looks a little different -- it is but it's not from ViewPoint.

Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever...(alternate edit 2) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Now you clever folks might say, "I can correct that fisheye problem now with Lightroom's distortion slider". No, you can't.

When you do that, the ball goes back to being oval and you've got the original shot again minus some edge loss, lol.

So if you get this software be advised: it's not a panacea for everything.
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I've used DxO since version 5, and find the distortion correction tools very useful. For instance, I photograph a lot of paintings for documentary purposes, and rarely have the luxury of getting things exactly parallel to the canvas with a long lens; DxO lets you mark the four corners and converts to a perfect rectangle. In crowded european city centres, I often have to use a wide angle (9-18) to get a building in. The resulting distortion can be easily corrected. One thing I have learned, however, is to get as much 'air' round the subject as possible. If you don't, or can't, then the correction often cuts off parts you want to keep, as in this example with the arch.

Thanks for the post - I might have to download a trial.
  3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I do agree: framing it so that corrections will not take away your image is a must. I didn't take this photo with correction in mind (and I'm not used to this 7-14mm lens yet either so it's all a learning experience.

It certainly make a lot of sense for architectural stuff. I use Lightrooms keystone correction sliders a lot, but DXO looks like it might be the ticket at times. I like the idea of plugins as Lightroom is my catalog organizer and what not so this really appealed to me.

Now I just need to learn to use it properly, lol!
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Like John I own this and have found the auto correction (100%) can sometimes cause less than optimal results. These can fortunately be adjusted by reducing the Intensity slider.

There is a free alternative called [ame=""]ShiftN[/ame] by Marcus Hebel that is also worth a look.