Using C mount lenses frequently?

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Hi m0nsieur. Here is a very handy chart and graph for you regarding c-mount info. Almost anything shorter than 25mm won't cover the entire m4/3 sensor.

-Chrome

I'm not a C-mount pro, but I enjoy using the 25mm f/1.2 ebay lens. It offers unique images that put instagram to shame for impersonating the old cheap camera lens effect.

I also bought a 10mm Cine lens to use as a fisheye, from a guy who used to make movies with it. I use the Cmount adapter that came with my ebay lens. This lens is disappointing in that it only covers about half of the frame (a circle in the center) and can only seem to focus within a 4ft range. I've also tried a CS adapter but that didn't improve. It's too bad because the glass is clean and aperture and focus are smooth moving.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Jonathan thank you for sharing your link. the lens does produce some amazing photos. The child's photo is stunning. Is she yours?

retnull

Mu-43 Regular
For about a year and a half, my main set-up was a Panasonic GH-1 with an Angenieux 25/0.95. The lens has a look that I just love: soft-sharp, smooth, romantic. It vignettes full-frame, so mostly I used it in 1:1 aspect ratio (used to shoot 6x6 a lot).

The other C-mount lens I love is a Fuji 75/1.8. Very sharp and even-looking with lovely Fuji colors. I gave the lens to a m43-loving relative, but then thought better of it and had to buy myself another one.

Two or three other c-mounts were tried, and abandoned.

I am shooting more film these days, so the Angenieux and Fuji lenses are not seeing so much use. But I will not sell them.

My advice: C-mounts are worth it if you REALLY like vintage looks (this does not necessarily mean crazy bokeh or low resolution), and if you enjoy manual shooting. Personally I want my images to look unusual -- not "conventionally perfect" -- and c-mounts do exactly that.

2011_01_Thompkins_Kira.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Angenieux 25/0.95

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Jonathan thank you for sharing your link. the lens does produce some amazing photos. The child's photo is stunning. Is she yours?

She's my daughter. :smile:

My only complaint with this lens is that it's quite soft at 1.4 and the focus throw is incredibly long, making it hard to nail focus quickly.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
WOW!!! What a great shot. I see what you mean ...not "conventionally perfect". It's pure magic. Do you have an idea of what f/stop you might have used. The background dissolve is amazing.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Jonathan, that is a huge point you make about the focus throw. I know exactly what you mean. I have often wonder what other Cosmicars are like. My lens reminds me of my Drivers's Ed class in the early 60's. To avoid the anticipated accident your had to turn the trainer's steering wheel, arm-over-arm, three and one half full rotations from the straight position. This is my Cosmicar. I love the feel of it images, which as you describe as having"...it has a certain quality none of my other lenses exhibit". My lens may be an enormous burden to lug around especially in tight spaces on its tripod, and up multiple multiple flights of narrow stairs in abandoned factories. But images it produces are well worth the effort.

How long is the 75mm and what is its filter size?

My only complaint with this lens is that it's quite soft at 1.4 and the focus throw is incredibly long, making it hard to nail focus quickly.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for posting a photo of the Cosmicar 75mm1.3/. Though substantial it looks like a perfect fit for the Olympus. Cosmicar made fabulous lenses.

In the previous image the lens had a rubber hood attached to the 82mm filter thread. It was grossly inadequate, so I fashioned a extension from a plastic reducer for flexible drainage pipe. It mates perfectly inside the rubber hood. The fabricated hood is 125mm dia and extends 6" beyond the lens.

Here is the first serious photo captured by it. Here are 3 interior shots. The fourth was from another lens. Since I shoot environments rather than close-up subjects, I require a DOF of f/8 or greater, I haven't had an opportunity to shoot wide open. I need to create a situation that requires bokeh.

-Chrome

Here's a picture of the Cosmicar 75mm 1.4:

It has a 58mm filter thread and I attached a hood for flare protection. It's a very heavy lens, but it feels solid and since the c-mount adapter is so thin, it practically feels like a native lens!

Mu-43 Regular
Dear old mate, you won't waste your money with Angenieux 75 2.5, reasonable price with ultimate optic quality

8110041446_28fba3cbec_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom