1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

using both 14/2.5 and 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rkhndjr, Jul 1, 2011.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have both these lenses and am pondering selling one. I do love both and wonder about any suggestions as to keeping both or selling one. Thanks. I am no pro, just shoot any and everything...I use my LX3 for macros. Do not have money to buy other lenses.

2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    If I were making such a decision, I would keep the 20 because I find it more versatile.

But, if you don't need to sell for any reason, consider doing the following:

Search through this forum and flickr for images made with each lens. Consider what appeals to you, what you aspire to do in terms of your photography.
    Look through your own stuff. What do you shoot more of, and under what light?

With those two lenses you can do a lot, and explore a lot. if you don't have to sell, keep'em and get shooting :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i'm also thinking of selling my 14mm. i hardly use either lens but if i had to keep one, it would definitely be the 20mm.

4. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Interesting, but the 14mm is as good in way of IQ as the 20mm to me. I will keep both probably. The f1.7 does make a big difference however.

5. eplutz

eplutz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Funnily enough, I got the 14 with my GF2 and have been pondering whether or not to get the 20mm... I'm planning on getting the new 25mm PanaLeica when its out so will the 20mm really be necessary? I would love the extra stops of light but so far I love the 14mm.
    Just for full disclosure, I did end up getting the 14-42 as well :)

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    If I had the 14, and the 25 on order, I would probably not get the 20... at least not right away :smile:.

7. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    FWIW, I had a 14-45 and it is very good. Don't really like zooms and sold it. The 20/1.7 is fantastic, and the price has gone down nicely in past week.

8. eplutz

eplutz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    I really like zooms for when I travel and don't want to carry a lot of "stuff" around with me. That said, I just love how light and compact these lenses are - makes me wonder what the heck I was waiting for! :-D

9. eplutz

eplutz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    That was my thought as well... I'm sure I'll end up with it at some point but I suspect a macro lens is more in my future...

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    FOV vs low light capability

You can always stitch to make up FOV, not much you can do to make F/2.8 a F/1.7

11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I had a 20mm for a few days before sending it back, mainly as I felt I'd spent too much on it! But also as I felt it very similar to the Olympus 17mm that I got with the camera, in the few days I had it I was very impressed seem a cracking lens, if the 14mm is as good then its sure to be a cracker too, although I've read some reports that suggest its not much better than the 14mm end of the 14-42/14-45 Panasonic kit zooms, but I've never used any of those so I don't know of its true!

12. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I was just thinking of a macro. I have always leaned toward macros and when I shot DSLR I used every make of macro lenses. Had to finally sell out due to finances. A guy on a forum yesterday said he was using a Sigma 90 with his M43 and loved it. That was my favorite but I don't want to fool with an adapter. If it gets complicated, this M43, I am out. Keep it simple is my motto.

13. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Man! The 14mm is a jewel, as good as the 20mm except for the f2.5. 14-42 will not touch it or any other FL IMO. I am biased:))

14. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Surprisingly, even though I wrote the 14mm f2.5 review on this site, I am biased to my 20mm f1.7. I love the speed more than the FOV. Now that the 45mm f1.8 has been announced, that sort of changes the equation. A 45/1.8 and a 14/2.5 is a great combo. Obviously replacing the 14 with the 12/2 is even better, but then you're talking very large cost....

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I love both lenses.

Wouldn't trade my Pana 14 for an Oly 12, because I value the smaller size and also prefer composing with the narrower angle of view of the 14.

Wouldn't trade my Pana 20 for the DG Summilux 25 because I value the smaller size.

If I had to give up one lens or the other, I'd give up the 14. The 20 is one of my all-time favorite lenses for any system.

If the Oly 45/1.8 is a great lens, I will be dangerously close to "completely satisified" with my gear :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Now you have me in a bind. I can return my 20mm still but how much will the 45mm cost?

17. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Me too. I wish I had seen the notice here about buying from Amazon. I buy all my gear from them. Now I will click the link here first.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Looks like it's going to retail at about $400.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I recently acquired a Nikkor Micro (macro) 55mm f/3.5 and a Rainbow Imaging adapter all for under $100. The micro is very sharp and with the M2 extension you're at 1:1 macro. The manual focus assist works quite well and relatively simple and quick. While AF is always better ... for macro work the lack of AF does not significantly hinder or sour the photographic experience.

I also own both the 20mm and the 14mm, both are close in FOV and IQ, but I keep 'em both for the time being if I were you and try your hand at legacy glass.

G

All with Nikkor Micro on a GF1

1060071-M.

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Would you give up the PL45 for Oly 45, assuming the Oly is half way decent?