Using and Ipad to review RAW files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hazwing, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm thinking of only taking an ipad with me when I go travelling for a few months.

Is it possible to review RAW files from a SD card via the ipad? I don't plan on doing any editting... it's mainly just to cull the worse photos so there is less work sifting through them when I get home.

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Photoraw lite
    Found after 10sec in google ;)

3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I don't know, but you could shoot raw+jpeg and Im sure jpegs can be looked at. I assume you are rich since you can afford a few months of travel so you can buy plenty of storage.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You can use it the way you want. Every raw file has a tiny jpeg embedded with it for things like viewing on the rear screen of the camera, for generating thumbnails when uploaded etc, and that's what you'll see on the iPad (and that's all you'd actually be editing with most iPad editing apps too if you were shooting raw only). Viewed at 100% for noise and such, it's not a great representation, but for culling the obvious losers, they're fine.

-Ray

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'd say I live comfortably, but I'm certainly not loaded. Currently no kids, no mortgage, been saving, ready for a break from work. I'd prefer not to be judged, just because I enjoy and prioritise travelling.

Do I still get that tiny jpeg if I shoot RAW only? Will it provide enough detail to decide which shots are sharper and cull the less sharp shot?

Also is the ipad a bit slow to read RAW files directly from an SD card?

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Take a look at the Photosmith App.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    hmmm... I've had a search around, it seems that you need to actually import your photos to the ipad before viewing them full sized. The ipad I've got is 32GB, thats not enough to store all the raw files on trip.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually if you look at Photosmith you will see that you can import 'jpegs' to your ipad - sort, tag, star etc them for Lightroom - and then you can transfer the 'metadata' from your 'jpegs' over to your 'RAWs' on your PC via wifi (very fast at 4 photos a second).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Shooting raw only is the only time you'd see them. If you shoot raw + jpeg, you'd see the full sized jpeg at whatever size and quality you'd selected. So, yeah, they'll be there. And they're more than adequate for judging the basic shot and culling. I spent a month shooting away from home in April, some raw, a lot of jpegs, and I filled up a 64gb iPad well before the end of the month (I had all of the files backed up on a freestanding mobile hard drive) and did a lot of culling. And, yeah, raw files upload more slowly just because they're a lot larger. Any sort of raw processing on the iPad is insanely slow and cumbersome, which is why most apps won't even support it.

-Ray

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds like a possible solution. I had at better look at their website, but couldn't find much information on the feature you've mentioned. So if I shoot small/medium jpg + RAW, import jpg to ipad, rate with photosmith. When I finally get home, transfer RAW to LR on my laptop, sync metadata?

The only potential issue I see, is will I fit 3-4months of jpg files onto a 32GB ipad (that will probably be filled with other stuff as well). I'm starting to regret not buying the 64gb version...

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes... well the way you describe it just about sums it up.

Here is an article from the Photosmith website about how it can be set up.

Proxy JPG Workflow (v2)

Whether it is the absolute best solution for what you are looking for though is debatable.

(1) I have used it for one month of travels and with 1800 photos before but I am not sure whether the App could handle say 10,000 photos if that is how many you took over 3-4 months.

(2) You still have the problem of where and how you would store this many RAW files.

Another possibility would be to get a Hyperdrive colorspace..

HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA2

This would let you store all your RAW files on it and view your RAW files on the drive itself or on your ipad as well as delete those RAW that you did not want to keep.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Having travelled with my iPad (3rd gen 64gb), I find it easier to cull straight from the camera. Importing into the iPad is just too slow and bothersome. I use a Hyperspace UDMA2 for storage - it has a large LCD as well, but that's also too slow for me. The latest model is suppose to be faster and can serve as a wifi storage server, and may be better in this regard.

13. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    That's an interesting thread you got started. I'm in kinlau's camp. I travel with two 64GB iPads, one a 2nd gen, and one a 3rd gen. 2nd gen culls, but depending on how active your traveling is going to be and how much down time you have, culling in the camera may be the better choice. I do both. First I quick cull in camera, then second culling in iPad 2. Finals go to iPad 3 for archiving and editing. I shoot raw and I edit and tag with Photosmith. BUT, I don't travel for more than a week or two at a time. If I were gone for several weeks, with several destinations, I'd want a laptop particularly to archive originals to DVD's and mail them back home as I was able. And I'd NEVER erase a card if I could help it. I'd have enough cards to last the trip. But some trips are hard to plan as far as the what, when, where, and how many images goes. When I shot Canon pro DSLRs, they have the ability to copy each image to two cards or shoot RAW to one card and JPEG to another, which I always did. For safety, I would figure out ways to secure one of each pair, or have them sent back so that if one was lost or destroyed, the other was safe. But that's not possible with my OM-D, which is why I would want a way to archive to a CD or DVD and mail those home.

My suggesting to you, with a 32GB iPad, is to cull in camera as much as safely possible to do without risking deleting more than you want; have enough memory cards so you never have to reformat one and a good place to store/keep them when not in use (hotel safe?); and only bring over to the iPad the really important ones or key photos representing the best shots of that day. Don't edit RAW on the iPad, since you aren't going to be printing them from there; you can do that when you get home.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I was getting excited about the prospect of using the proxy jpg workflow in photosmith. I figured shooting small jpg, I'd probably only need about 4GB of ipad space to hold ~12000 photos.

Unfortunately it seems that the only way you can transfer the only the jpg (and not RAW) is via using the eye-fi card. The camera connect kit transfers jpg+raw, which defeats the purpose I'm after.

I guess in the end, I might just end up bringing my small laptop and spare external hard-drive. I was hoping to save some weight and space by bringing the ipad only.

15. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    What solution did you end up going with?

It is desperately unfortunate that iOS is hobbled in this way. I agree that if the connection kit allowed a preference to just import the JPG half of the raw+JPG combo, that would be ideal in many situations.

The eyefi and other wireless cards almost make this easy but their limited space, slow transfers, and in my experience lack of reliability make them both expensive (I'd need at least six and maybe more) and cumbersome.

I'm thinking the hyper colorspace solution may be my best bet. Backs up the RAW, and allows me to grab just the jpg to my ipad (via wifi) -- but I have to select every single item to transfer, since I haven't figured out a way to "transfer all jpg" yet.

16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    In the end, I decided to go with the extra weight and brought my macbook air. I also bought lots of memory cards.

I found it easier to do an initial sift in camera - just to rule out really bad images, camera shake and unwanted motion blur. I could also do this in lightroom as well, but I find LR is slow to render zooming into the images.

If you sift in camera, I'd recommend shooting in either RAW or largeJPG+RAW. When shooting JPG+RAW, the camera seems to display the JPG image when reviewing in-camera. So if you only shoot medium or small jpg plus RAW, there sometimes isn't enought resolution to make a basic assessment on image sharpness.

With the EM5; I use the scroll wheel to zoom in to 5x to assess for camera shake/motion blur, and then the other scroll wheel to move left/right to compare similar images. You can select multiple images to delete by pressing the red 'record' button on the top.

I was able to do a bit of photo rating and post processing, on the road with the laptop and lightroom. I'm sorta glad I bought it.

I just managed to fit all my photos onto the macbook air (256GB version). Photos were 'backed up' on the memory cards they were taken on. Over the course of my trip, I took about 7500 photos (sifted down).

17. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    That sounds like a workable solution.