1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using an FL-36 (not 'r') with FL-600r and E-M5

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by felipegeek, May 29, 2015.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Hello members,

I have a volunteer photo gig tomorrow at an awards ceremony for a non-profit. I was supposed to be the opportunistic photographer but the 'pro' bowed out and I was asked to do the award hand-off photos. I was told the lighting is dim overhead type and it's not a venue outfitted with stage lighting of any kind. I have an E-M5, FL-600r and an FL-36 (not 'r'). I bought the latter (from a member) not realizing there are 'r' with RC support and a non-r versions without RC. I was hoping to use both flashes off camera and fire them with RC using the EM-5 pop-up but that obviously not possible.

My question is can the FL-36 be used on camera and will the E-M5 send the RC signal via the FL-36 flash that can fire the FL-600r?

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

2. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I just tried it with the E-M5 pop-up flash and the FL-600r fires along with it. When I put the FL-36 on the camera and the FL-600r does not fire. I was hoping the RC signalling for the flash on the body would come from the camera even with the older flash but it doesn't seem so. I would appreciate any input should I be missing something. I have less than 18 hours (including sleeping time) to figure this out.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fl-36 pre-dates wireless E-TTL for Olympus. I don't think you are going to get it to work.

I'm surprised to hear about the pop up flash on the E-M5 as I didn't think it had one.

4. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @tkbslc@tkbslc It's not built-in but I call it a pop-up as it's about the size of one, it's power by the camera battery and you have to flip it up to use it.

I was afraid of that. If I had a clue I would have not bought the non-r version. I'll keep testing RC mode with the 'flip-up' flash and see what I get. I just worry about running out of battery power in the cam too quickly.