1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using an FL-36 (not 'r') with FL-600r and E-M5

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by felipegeek, May 29, 2015.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Hello members,

I have a volunteer photo gig tomorrow at an awards ceremony for a non-profit. I was supposed to be the opportunistic photographer but the 'pro' bowed out and I was asked to do the award hand-off photos. I was told the lighting is dim overhead type and it's not a venue outfitted with stage lighting of any kind. I have an E-M5, FL-600r and an FL-36 (not 'r'). I bought the latter (from a member) not realizing there are 'r' with RC support and a non-r versions without RC. I was hoping to use both flashes off camera and fire them with RC using the EM-5 pop-up but that obviously not possible.

My question is can the FL-36 be used on camera and will the E-M5 send the RC signal via the FL-36 flash that can fire the FL-600r?

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

2. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I just tried it with the E-M5 pop-up flash and the FL-600r fires along with it. When I put the FL-36 on the camera and the FL-600r does not fire. I was hoping the RC signalling for the flash on the body would come from the camera even with the older flash but it doesn't seem so. I would appreciate any input should I be missing something. I have less than 18 hours (including sleeping time) to figure this out.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Fl-36 pre-dates wireless E-TTL for Olympus. I don't think you are going to get it to work.

I'm surprised to hear about the pop up flash on the E-M5 as I didn't think it had one.

4. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @tkbslc@tkbslc It's not built-in but I call it a pop-up as it's about the size of one, it's power by the camera battery and you have to flip it up to use it.

I was afraid of that. If I had a clue I would have not bought the non-r version. I'll keep testing RC mode with the 'flip-up' flash and see what I get. I just worry about running out of battery power in the cam too quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.