Using Adobe Lightroom with OM-D

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by majordude, Jan 5, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I am pretty good with Photoshop but I'm a little lost with Lightroom. The only reason I am attempting to learn it is so that I can use it's library to store my photos instead of iPhoto.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have my OM-D set to take RAW and JPG... after importing, where the heck are my JPGs? Instead of getting two files per photo I only see one.

2. Is there a way to see what setting my camera was on (A, S, AUTO, etc.)?

3. When adjusting, I am playing around with some of the presets. "Punch" seems to look best to me on 80% of the photos I shot today. What settings do most of you use?
  2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    1. They are there. LR only imports the RAW file, since they both have the same name. You can rename the JPEGs you want in order to import them also. BTW, a neat trick with Photoshop (since you use it), is to layer a JPEG with in-camera filter applied, over any process you do to the RAW file. If you do lens correction, do it to both, though (speaking from personal experience/frustration on this one...).

2. I'm not sure if you can see extended EXIF through LR, have to check.

3. I have a number of personal presets made, but originally started from some freeware I found on the net, and made any changes I deemed suitable. There is a bunch of good ones, if you search around. Also all your PS plugins will play along with LR, but their effects will be burn in the TIFF file, you can't use layers.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Lightroom's RAW+JPEG handling sucks; it keeps them together but that's it. I really wish they had a compare mode between the camera JPEG and LR's process copy.
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    1. go to: preferences -> general -> tick 'treat jpeg files next to raw files as seperate photos' . Not sure, but if you have already imported them, you still might not see the jpg file.

2. Under library panel, in metadata -> 'exposure program' will say what setting it's on

3. I'm still figuring out what I prefer. Settings are a little different from what I'd prefer on my canon dlsr. I find with the om-d, I tend to dial in more clarity and vibrance than the canon. I do find 'punch' sometimes puts in a bit too much clarity for my liking, especially shots of people. I don't really like that contrasty look in people photos.
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1