Using a Pentax K 300mm f4 lens with a Panasonic G5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by donuts, Jan 27, 2016.

1. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    I just bought a Panasonic G5, and am totally new to 4/3, and adapted lenses, as far as
    that goes. I was looking at a Pentax smc? K 300mm f4 lens, and for the
    most part it gets good reviews on the Pentax forum. It is an older FF lens made in the
    70's. It does not have a tripod collar. My question is, would it make a decent lens to adapt
    for wildlife pictures, as it would have to be hand held, unless there is a tripod collar that
    can be used. What adapter would be a good match for this lens? Any other issues that I
    should be aware of? All opinions welcome.
  2. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    I don't think a 300mm MF lens would work that well, hand held on a body without IBIS (in fact I understand IBIS doesn't work that well at those FLs anyway).
    I've got a Canon 300mm FD f4, but I've not really had much opportunity to try it out since getting it a month or two back. Got it for a hundred and some quid from fleabay, came from the far east.
    But I do suspect you need to figure in a tripod with this sort of combo. My lens came with the tripod adapter.

Just my opinion.
  3. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks Rob, I think without plenty of light, a tripod is a must.
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I used the Super Takumar 200/4 (here) on E-M10 with reasonable results. Focus throw is very long and I like it. I focused it mostly with magnify enabled with a dedicated function button.
    On G5 you have no in-body stabilization so you need a fast shutter speed like 1/1000s and for moving animals is safer not to go much lower anyway. With good light is not a problem and you can also stop it down a little where the lens surely improves. In winter, early morning, late afternoon I give up quickly.

I got an adapter with a tripod foot (like this), but in the end I use it only handheld as it weights just 400g vs the 1020g of the 300mm. Looking at the pictures seems like you could place a generic tripod collar, of the correct diameter, right between the focus ring and the aperture ring, just over the distance scale window.
    If you use a tripod you need a sturdy one with a good head or a cable/wireless release.

Main problem I found with the Takumar is colour fringing, quite easy to correct (CA correction + defringe) but the corrections steal a little of the smaller details (only visible at 100%).
    There are other 300mm that could be better like the Canon 300/4 FD s.s.c. or the modern Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Tele Macro HSM (this specific version, there are other that are worst). Or the Tair 300 if you want to go really cheap but good (and huge...).
    So it mostly depends on the price, how much you like manual focus, the hassle of a tripod, etc.
  5. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    I have a Canon 300mm FD f4 as the above poster and had a lot of fun with it on my GX7 (which has lesser grip than your G5).

3 pics here: Adapted Lens Image Thread and there´s a few more on my flickr (mostly the bird ones).
    All hand holding (but I did buy a tripod collar as it fits my hand better with it on)

Mine have some fungus, dust and chromatic aberration wide open, but I can get nice images out of it and it didn't cost me much.

Manual focus and not having a stabilized view makes it a challenge but doable and you get used to it after a while. I don't know if the G5 have peaking, but it helps a little, though not overly important.
    Keep you shutter speeds up (remember it´s a 600mm equivalent, so the view shakes quite a bit).

Always remember that people shot sports frequently with manual focus teles (actually all my fd lenses came from a former sports journalist) so it's a matter of practise.
    I even managed to get some sharp pics handheld using a 2x teleconverter (so 600mm f8 lens), but of course it's harder.

Of course I would like to play with the new Oly f4, but it´s really out of my league, and altough it´s a fun focal lenght I don't use it so often
  6. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Nice pictures Klorenzo! As far as using a tripod, I have a lot of patients so no problem their. The adapter
    foot looks ok, but I wonder about holding a large 300mm lens?? I am in no hurry to get a lens yet, before
    looking at different options
  7. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Hi palombasso, actually I don't know if the G5 has peaking, but I think it does. If I can get pictures near as good as klorenzo and yours I will be happy!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have a canon 200 fd f2.8(?) but had a lot of trouble getting good photos hand held with it. Perhaps a cheap m43 lens might deliver better photos than a legacy lens.
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, at least some of the Pentax 300/4 lenses came with a tripod collar; see (m42 mount)

I had the m42-mount versions of both the SMC 300/4 and SMC 200/4; I found both to have severe (imo) CA, and the 200 was much sharper than the 300.
    I posted comments about those and other Takumars at Pentax m42 prime lenses vs Oly & Pana 4/3 & m4/3 lenses

Regardless, you should be able to find an adapter for around $20USD.
    If you decide to sell the lenses, PentaxForums is a good place... IIRC the 200mm sold for almost $200USD and the 300mm around $120 or $150.

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    if the price is right its worth it. I'm a fan of both the FD 300mm f4 and the OM300f4.5 Both have good tripod mounts and both are great optics.

Personally I'd say that my handheld stuff is acceptable but of course tripod really improves things (I use a GH1). I understood that IBIS was really on its limits in dealing with the amount of movement that a 300 generates at the sensor area (and this view seems to be supported by the new Oly300 being optically stabilized too). This image is handheld with the FD300 (which has a lovely smooth focus operation)

Don't pay more than about $150 for the lens. KEH has good FD and OM for $200 and they have nice collars.

A monopod will get you this (and relieve your sholders)

This post of mine on my blog may give you some points to consider (such as the mount and focus by extension or IF)

in my view ...: tale of two teles

Indeed the first shot in that shows that on a tripod you can get away with lower shutter speeds (look for motion blur in the chicks head)
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    This is an example of color fringing with the Takumar 200/4 (another example on flickr):

Here I used CA correction, defringe and desaturation of that specific magenta tone. It is not only on the big borders but is a magenta mist all around all the feathers details. There are still green halos on the water that I did not fix not to mess with the green in the duck head (and to save some time).

More recent lenses (Canon s.s.c., Sigma HSM, etc.) have special glass elements that greatly reduce this problem.
  12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    If the lens has no tripod mount then I'd recommend getting an adapter with a tripod mount, they don't cost much extra & it will reduce strain on the G5.
    My 300mm f4 Tak. is a nice lens but seriously heavy, while my Pentax zooms that reach 300 aren't quiet as fast, there's not really a lot of difference yet the weight saving is huge. I haven't yet tried that focal length on my G5, if going above the 200mm my native lenses strech too it tends to be significantly longer lenses are used 450mm & up :)
  13. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks everyone for all the responses and opinions, It has given me a lot to consider.