1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using a Pana/Leica D 14-50 mm F2.8-F3.5 lens (4/3 System) lens on Panasonic M4/3 cameras

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by The Minimalist, Nov 26, 2012.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Has anyone have any experience of using this 4/3 lens on a :43: camera?
    I'm using a GF1.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had one until the 12-35 came out. It won't AF at all on a GF1. It is GLACIALLY slow on the newer cameras that will AF it (G3 in my case). It is giant and quite heavy, I got into the practice of holding the camera by the lens with my left hand.

I never thought the IQ was outstanding, but it is certainly very good. The range was nice and the OIS worked well, but the 12-35 is absolutely better in every way, and, IMHO, worth the price.

To give you an idea of how much bigger it is, by replacing it with the 12-35, I was able to carry a backup body in the same bag as used to be fully occupied by one body and range of lenses.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I should add that if you already have one, it is absolutely worth buying the adapter for and using it.

If you are looking to buy one, I would suggest looking at the Olympus 14-54 II which is optimized for CDAF, or just saving up for the 12-35

4. The one that I had was great in terms of IQ; very sharp and distortion seemed to be very minimal at the widest angle which is rare for a 28mm equivalent zoom. The problem was that it felt terrible to use on a Micro 4/3 camera due to the mismatched size and weight and the noisy and slow autofocus. It felt much nicer to use on an Olympus E-510, and even now if you gave me the choice to use it on either the E-M5 or the old E-510 I'd take the latter.

5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I have seen a Panasonic L1 with one of these lens for sale, I might just stick with the P14-45 that I've got.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.