Using a Pana/Leica D 14-50 mm F2.8-F3.5 lens (4/3 System) lens on Panasonic M4/3 cameras

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by The Minimalist, Nov 26, 2012.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Has anyone have any experience of using this 4/3 lens on a :43: camera?
    I'm using a GF1.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had one until the 12-35 came out. It won't AF at all on a GF1. It is GLACIALLY slow on the newer cameras that will AF it (G3 in my case). It is giant and quite heavy, I got into the practice of holding the camera by the lens with my left hand.

I never thought the IQ was outstanding, but it is certainly very good. The range was nice and the OIS worked well, but the 12-35 is absolutely better in every way, and, IMHO, worth the price.

To give you an idea of how much bigger it is, by replacing it with the 12-35, I was able to carry a backup body in the same bag as used to be fully occupied by one body and range of lenses.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I should add that if you already have one, it is absolutely worth buying the adapter for and using it.

If you are looking to buy one, I would suggest looking at the Olympus 14-54 II which is optimized for CDAF, or just saving up for the 12-35

4. The one that I had was great in terms of IQ; very sharp and distortion seemed to be very minimal at the widest angle which is rare for a 28mm equivalent zoom. The problem was that it felt terrible to use on a Micro 4/3 camera due to the mismatched size and weight and the noisy and slow autofocus. It felt much nicer to use on an Olympus E-510, and even now if you gave me the choice to use it on either the E-M5 or the old E-510 I'd take the latter.

5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I have seen a Panasonic L1 with one of these lens for sale, I might just stick with the P14-45 that I've got.