Using a Nikon SB 700

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tarazed, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Tarazed

Tarazed New to Mu-43

May 10, 2012
    I just picked up an epm1 and was wondering, what if any would be the best way to use my Nikon flash. I'm guessing off camera. Anyone do this?

Thanks and I'm happy to be part of the "club" ;)
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome. You can use your flash either on camera or off camera - whichever suits you for what you're trying to capture. Either way it'll be manual mode.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If the flash has hamual or auto modes, you should be able to use the flash. You won't be able to use the flash in TTL mode as the TTL "language" and contact locations are different. The flash can only respond to "fire" from the caera.

If the flash has an optical slave that ignores preflash, then it can be used off camera. It can also be used off camera with a generic, non-TTL radio slave. The Nikon commander mode, and Oly's remote controller mode aren't compatible.
  4. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Ambler Pa. Just northwest of Phila
    What about flash voltage?

I've read that with the omd (not sure about the epm) that the voltage of the flash must be 24 volts or less. Does anyone know the voltage of th sb 700 or sb 600 ( which I have). I'm afraid to use it yet with my OMD.
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    SB-24, 25, 26, 600, 700, 800, 900, & 910 are all less than 6v, you're safe even if you you want to use them on the early Pen's.
    • Like Like x 1