Using a lens cap on a m43 camera lens between shots?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by G1 User, Jul 28, 2010.

1. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Can the sun harm the sensor from the light coming through the lens?
    I know with my RF, I use a lens cap or cup my palm over the lens in between shoots.

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I certainly wouldn't point the lens directly at the sun without a cap for long periods of time, but otherwise it's probably OK. I take my cap off at the beginning of a shoot, and put it back on at the end of the shoot (or if I swap lenses during the shoot obviously). The issue with your RF is that the sun focused on the shutter can burn a hole in the cloth shutter.

3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Exactly... can the sun focused on the sensor do damage to the pixels or electronics? Since the shutter is out of the way until the exposure.. at least on the G1.

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    People have reported sensor damage from laser light shows shining directly into the camera, so it may be possible to damage the sensor from direct exposure to focused sunlight. Indirect light shouldn't be an issue. I guess if you can't trust yourself to not accidentally point the camera directly at the sun while you're taking photos, then you'll want to replace your cap after every shot just in case.

The shutter is out of the way until exposure on all mirrorless cameras by definition.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I haven't used a cap on the street ever. I use caps just in storage mode to keep the dust gremlins out.
    Out on a shoot...no cap ever. I have not seen any issues with any damage to the sensor etc...

6. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

I don't ever use lens caps either when the lens is mounted on the camera. In fact I have all my front lens caps for all my lens in a big zip lock bag in the basement. But I always make sure the camera and lens are face down when they're on the car seat beside me or when I'm not using them.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    whats a lens cap ? :)

K

8. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    I too, have slowly evolved into not giving a hoot about these things you call 'lens caps'. ;D

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's the thing you loose whenever you don't expect it.....

Cosina thinks it something to drill a hole into make a pinhole image....dunno

10. bethmcmillen2@mac.com

bethmcmillen2@mac.com Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Lens Cap

After 2 weeks I lost my lens cap for the 14-42 kit lens. I cover the lens with my cleaning cloth when I put it away. I am thinking I should get a filter to prevent lens scratching. Any suggestions about a filter?

11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I use B&W pro UV filter on all my lenses. There are cheaper and there are more expensive but for me they work.

• Like Like x 2
  12. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    There's a helpful thread on filters here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/filters-639/?highlight=filters

as far as lens caps go, I stopped taking them on-and-off all the time when I once found myself absent-mindedly trying to put one on the wrong way round and abrading the front element ...

13. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
  14. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    +1 for the BW Pro UV.... #010
    under $50.00 and quality materials.

15. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

Also a BIG +1 on the BW Pro UV. I have the EP1+kit lens, and the first filter I got to protect the lens was really cheap and lacked multicoating: got a lot of reflections when taking pictures under low light conditions with a strongly lit object, bleagh! The BW solved that problem totally. More expensive, but absolutely worth it!

JohnF

16. bethmcmillen2@mac.com

bethmcmillen2@mac.com Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Lens Cap/Filters

Thanks to all for all the info on filters. I just want something, clear, to protect the lens from scratches, etc. B&H has the B&W Pro clear--do you think that is what I need?

17. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    yes, in the quality filters, B&H is slightly more resilient than Hoya (in exchange hoya is marginally better, but they both blow the competition away)

• Like Like x 2