Using 4/3-mount lenses on MFT cameras

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Great source of information for the continued enjoyment and use of four thirds lenses. Any suggestions to get the most out of my CDAF optimized 14-54 II lens on the EM-10 II?

I am enjoying the near macro capabilities and good IQ but find the slow AF a bit cumbersome. I have single point focus in the center and use Eye detection as well. Any suggested changes to settings to optimize AF?
I’ll reply to my own post. After buying a second hand E-M1 and MMF-3 adapter, the CDAF optimized 14-54 II worked markedly better in autofocus speed. Enough so that when I decided the E-M10 II was a better fit for my needs and sold off the E-M1, so went the 4/3 lens and adapter. While others soldier on with other bodies, I could not imagine continuing to use a non-PDAF sensor equipped body. I really liked the 14-54 rendering and see tremendous value in the 4/3 lineup but would suggest clear expectations for use with anything other than an E-M1.

Last edited:

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I appreciate others looking into the 70-300zd focus status. If I need to focus manually other bargains are more tempting, but it's still a fun lens. Even handheld on a GX1 the results are quite nice. Maybe an em1 body will show up to justify it.. :rolleyes-38:
:flypig:

P.S. In case you missed it elsewhere: problem solved. Yes its been a while since I used a lens (in any mount) with an AF/MF switch. :blush:

Last edited:

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I have just bought a 50-200 swm and mm3 using it on a firmware updated om1-mkii .. the results are mind blowing ,this is my new go to lens ,b.i.f no problem in caf love it

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I hope that the E-M5 III (when it finally comes down a bit price) will help give these lenses a new lease on life. I haven't seen any uptick in 4/3 lens prices yet on eBay etc. The fact that one can get an E-M1, adapter, 12-60/2.8-4.0 and 50-200/2.8-3.5 for under $1000 is really amazing.

(While it is a little worrying that none of the lenses are repaired any more by Olympus, I've never paid less than $250 for a lens repair, so given that many of these lenses are <$300 it's not really that different from getting any other unwarrantied lens)

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
While it is a little worrying that none of the lenses are repaired any more by Olympus,
Not really true, all of the SHG lenses are still repairable. While some say the 50-200 SWD isn’t, when I contacted OLYMPUS about mine they said the SWD version still has some parts available.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I hope that the E-M5 III (when it finally comes down a bit price) will help give these lenses a new lease on life. I haven't seen any uptick in 4/3 lens prices yet on eBay etc. The fact that one can get an E-M1, adapter, 12-60/2.8-4.0 and 50-200/2.8-3.5 for under $1000 is really amazing.

(While it is a little worrying that none of the lenses are repaired any more by Olympus, I've never paid less than $250 for a lens repair, so given that many of these lenses are <$300 it's not really that different from getting any other unwarrantied lens)
Though as I've said before, the E-m1 mark I not having cross shaped PDAF sensors really limits its focusing ability in low contrast scenes.

I bought the E-m1 mark I 4 years ago specifically because it was cheaper than the micro 4/3rds Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 lens, and it would allow me to use my existing classic 4/3rds Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 mark I (non-SWD) lens. For a lot of settings, it works. However, I found when I took it out on a whale watch, that the combination hunted badly and could not achieve a focus lock. So I gave up trying to use the 50-200mm lens, and went to the micro 4/3rds Olympus 14-150mm mark II f/3.5-5.6 lens which worked perfectly. The next year, I took the E-5 instead of the E-m1, and using the 50-200mm lens, it achieved a focus lock immediately (E-5 has cross shaped sensors). The cross shaped sensors allows the camera to find straight lines in either orientation.

In addition, I believe the E-m1 mark I only uses the PDAF sensors for the classic 4/3rds lenses and not for the micro 4/3rds lenses. I'm not sure whether it is in S-AF or C-AF modes that it doesn't use the sensors for the micro 4/3rds lenses. So, IMHO, the E-m1 mark I is better than the other micro 4/3rds bodies for classic 4/3rds lens support if it can achieve a focus lock, but it is limited IMHO.

This is evidently fixed in the E-m1 mark II, which now has cross shaped sensors and presumably it is also in the E-m1x and E-m5 mark III cameras. I believe starting with the E-m1 mark II, it now uses the PDAF sensors more for the micro 4/3rds lenses.

In addition, if you are buying the E-m1 mark I used, you need to make sure the copy you get doesn't suffer from one of the classic E-m1 mark I complaints:
  • Green blotches on the EVF caused by exposure to the sun, particularly if you set the diopter high;
  • Strap lug nuts coming out; (and)
  • Mode dial that stops working.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
4. Four-Thirds.org (official consortium for FT & MFT members; note they don't normally include non-members making MF lenses such as Voightlander and Zhongyi Mitakon):
Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)
Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)
Just a random observation, but today I went to look something up on the old 4/3rds list of lenses at four-thirds.org and found that all the 4/3rds Panasonic lenses have been removed. Granted I think there was only four total, but the micro side still lists all the Panasonic lenses. I wonder why all the 4/3rds Panasonics have disappeared?

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Not really true, all of the SHG lenses are still repairable. While done say the 50-200 SWD isn’t, when I contacted OLYMPUS about mine they said the SWD version still has some parts available.
I'm pleased to hear that - certainly different from what I'd heard regarding the 50-200 SWD. Do you know about the 12-60 SWD?

Though as I've said before, the E-m1 mark I not having cross shaped PDAF sensors really limits its focusing ability in low contrast scenes.
That's a good point. I also had poor luck with my 50-200 initially, particularly at the long end, but since it was stolen a while back, I'd almost forgotten. I did have a better experience with the 12-60.

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
I'm very interested in getting some 4/3 mount lenses to go with my (soon to arrive) E-M5 III. However, I'm unclear whether the E-M5 III is expected to perform identically to the E-M1 II in terms of PDAF speed. It should still have near-native AF speed, right? I really want to get some of the large-aperture telephoto zooms for rainforest animal photography.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I'm very interested in getting some 4/3 mount lenses to go with my (soon to arrive) E-M5 III. However, I'm unclear whether the E-M5 III is expected to perform identically to the E-M1 II in terms of PDAF speed. It should still have near-native AF speed, right? I really want to get some of the large-aperture telephoto zooms for rainforest animal photography.
The EM5 III has the same sensor and AF suite as the EM1 II. It has a newer processor too. I suspect it'll perform equally well on 4/3rd lenses as the EM1 II, but only user experience will tell. Hope someone has a chance to test it out and let us know.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm unclear whether the E-M5 III is expected to perform identically to the E-M1 II in terms of PDAF speed. It should still have near-native AF speed, right?
The limiting factor may be the power available from the battery rather than the PDAF focusing itself. Some of those old big ZD lenses pull a bit of power and even on the old 4/3rds line differences in battery type made a difference. The old E-1 focused some of them noticeably faster with the optional battery grip (and the "big assed" (probably not the official name of it though :roflmao: )) battery that came with it) than with the normal BLM-01 battery. Same with the BLM-01 battery models doing a bit better than the "compact models" (E-4x0 and E-6x0 models) with the smaller battery.

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
The limiting factor may be the power available from the battery rather than the PDAF focusing itself. Some of those old big ZD lenses pull a bit of power and even on the old 4/3rds line differences in battery type made a difference. The old E-1 focused some of them noticeably faster with the optional battery grip (and the "big assed" (probably not the official name of it though :roflmao: )) battery that came with it) than with the normal BLM-01 battery. Same with the BLM-01 battery models doing a bit better than the "compact models" (E-4x0 and E-6x0 models) with the smaller battery.
Good to know. The lens I'm specifically looking at is the 50-200mm SWD. I'm heading out for a jungle vacation in a few weeks and am worried my 75-300mm won't cut it. Not willing to splurge on one of the expensive m4/3 low-light zooms for birds. Plus, the 50-200mm SWD has, by far, the largest aperture. However, I realized that if I pair it with a EC14 to bring it to 280mm at the long end, this only gives me an aperture of ~f/5 which isn't much better than f/5.6 at 300mm (using the 75-300mm lens).

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I'm pleased to hear that - certainly different from what I'd heard regarding the 50-200 SWD. Do you know about the 12-60 SWD?
Hi, it reportedly comes down to whether parts are still available... Precision Camera (http://www.precisioncamera.com/contact-us.html) in CT is the only company in USA that Olympus sold parts to; you could ask them if they still have any for the 12-60.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I'm heading out for a jungle vacation in a few weeks and am worried my 75-300mm won't cut it...
Plus, the 50-200mm SWD has, by far, the largest aperture. However, I realized that if I pair it with a EC14 to bring it to 280mm at the long end, this only gives me an aperture of ~f/5 which isn't much better than f/5.6 at 300mm (using the 75-300mm lens).
Hi, if you're talking about the m.ZD 75-300, it's f/6.7 at 300mm. And it's not weather-sealed.
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-digital-ed-75-300mm-f4-8-6-7-ii.html

I'm not saying f/5 is great, but maybe you can get close enough that you won't need the TC?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom