Using 14-54 II on the E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When I use the 14-54 II on the E-M5 there is a delay due to the aperture control (besides the slowness of the CDAF) which is longer at the wide end of the lens & less when at the telephoto end, regardless of the aperture setting. As the E-M1 uses PDAF with this lens I would like to know if there is still a delay with the aperture control or if it operates the same as if on a DSLR (E30) with no noticeable delay due to the aperture control. It is specifically this Mk II lens that I would like to know how it performs as I hope (yes, hoping) to get the E-M1 & to use this lens on it (besides others), but to be able to use it without delays that lets any subjects move out of the frame before the exposure has happened.

EDIT: In other words, will the E-M1 do 10 fps with Hi Drive Mode sequential shooting using MF in Manual mode (to eliminate any other factors) at 14mm & 54mm?

Thanks for any feed back.

:drinks:

2. Eubios

Eubios Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 24, 2012
    Toronto
    Carlo
    I can confirm that focusing is instantaneous (if this is what you are asking - not sure of that) at both ends, 14 and 54. Only when I try to focus on a blank wall the machine stumbles and is unable to focus, but this is probably normal ?

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the reply. I knew the focus would be instantaneous, but it's the shutter actuation that slows after it has found focus on the E-M5 in Contrast Detect AF & I am hoping the Phase Detect AF of the E-M1 will not have this delay effect as well.

The best way to see this effect is to take multiple frames at the high rate & take note of the actual frames taken per second at both ends of the zoom. The E-M5 slows down at the wide end & is about 9 fps at the tele end. This can also be a problem with Panasonic lenses like the 100-300 lens as it can't keep up with 9 fps of the E-M5.

4. Eubios

Eubios Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 24, 2012
    Toronto
    Carlo
    Hi Ross,

It's dark outside so I shot inside in dim light in A mode f2.8 1/30 and repeated the test many times and these are the results for 2 seconds (too difficult for me to time 1 second): 9 frames at 14mm, 12 frames at 54mm.

Carlo

• Like Like x 1