Useless lens hood

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I was shoot with my 12-100 yesterday, and was reminded of how useless the lens hood of super zooms often are.
Think about this, the focal range of that lens is from 12 (wide) to 100 (medium tele).
The hood has to cover a 12mm lens. So, just how effective do you think that hood is, at the longer focal lengths, say 50mm and longer? Not very.
I had to use my hand to shade the lens, to reduce the sunlight glaring into the lens. And the sun was nowhere near inside the frame.

Technology needs to make an "adjustable" lens hood for these super zooms.

OK, rant over.

Real Name
Walter
They make flashes that zoom, why not lens hoods? :)

Sounds like a good idea, at the risk of making them even more fragile and expensive. Olympus hoods are already expensive and some are already pretty fragile (eg., 40-150 Pro).

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I was shoot with my 12-100 yesterday, and was reminded of how useless the lens hood of super zooms often are.
Think about this, the focal range of that lens is from 12 (wide) to 100 (medium tele).
The hood has to cover a 12mm lens. So, just how effective do you think that hood is, at the longer focal lengths, say 50mm and longer? Not very.
I had to use my hand to shade the lens, to reduce the sunlight glaring into the lens. And the sun was nowhere near inside the frame.

OK, rant over.
While I understand what you are saying, there are always situations where you need to provide more shafing than your lens hood can provide. The 12-100 is no exception.

However, here is a shot taken directly into the sun with my 12-50, with no hood, and no shading by other means.

E-M1_JAK_2016-_8143074_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't they make terraced rubber hoods that collapse in increments? It seems like I've seen them somewhere. Whenever I run into days that are too sunny I just think of my first ex wife. Memories of her will darken even the brightest of days.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Don't they make terraced rubber hoods that collapse in increments? It seems like I've seen them somewhere. Whenever I run into days that are too sunny I just think of my first ex wife. Memories of her will darken even the brightest of days.

Hoya Multi Lens Hood used to be available in 49mm screw thread and bigger. They also did a version for the Hoyarex square filter system.

If you're on a tripod, bellows type hoods are the best. Wind them out far enough to put a shadow on the front element, then stop down and check you aren't vignetting. Impractical for most handheld photography.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend

I mostly use my hood on the 12-100 as bump protection for the front glass so I deploy it all the time. I often feel weird shooting without a hood on, even at night. But to your point, I am reminded of my OM 135/2.8 and other OM lenses which had the integrated sliding hood on them. Just a tube that slides out. How about a removable hood but with a section of it that can slide out to extend it ever further?

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
I mostly use my hood on the 12-100 as bump protection for the front glass so I deploy it all the time. I often feel weird shooting without a hood on, even at night. But to your point, I am reminded of my OM 135/2.8 and other OM lenses which had the integrated sliding hood on them. Just a tube that slides out. How about a removable hood but with a section of it that can slide out to extend it ever further?
This!

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
What I noticed today with my 8-18: as you zoom towards 18mm the front element retracts into the body of the lens causing the lens hood to get longer. Such a thoughtful design.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

That is an outer CV joint cover off an Austin Allegro.

Kudos to people who create or fund kickstarters, although this one looks like a solution looking for a problem to solve.

On a brighter note, it could convert a Chinon CE-5 into a very useful sink plunger though.

EDIT: 160 grand? WTF?

Last edited:

kanakanatwo

Mu-43 Rookie
^ How has this thing garnered a quarter million dollars in backing?!?! :dash2:

I'm pretty sure you can get the same thing off of AliEx for 5 bux...

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

OK, rant over.
Well, if you used the M.ZD7-14 Oly lens with a fixed hood, the lens element moves out for 7mm & back for 14mm, so it works for that lens. ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom