Useful tip for Using 14 - 150 with Macro adaptor for increased versatility

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Robstar1963, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I use an Olympus 14 - 150mm Superzoom with an Olympus MCON- P01 Macro adaptor attached
    This attaches by very simple twist onto the bayonet at the end of the lens
    It renders very acceptable quality images of insects and flowers and you can fill the frame from a very useful working distance which doesn't disturb your subject and at 150mm (300 equivalent at full extension)
    A useful tip for this combo is that the MCON- P01 attaches and comes off so very quickly that you can use the adaptor as a walk around lens cap.
    When you want to use the lens for normal shooting just twist the adaptor off to reveal the normal optics. When you want to shoot macro just take off the 'lens cap' on the end of the adaptor.
    Hey presto - two lenses in one and a very versatile do everything walkaround kit for very little extra outlay and for very negligible additional space taken up in your kit bag !!!!
    I have some good shots of insects etc I took last weekend using this combo
    Haven't uploaded photos onto the site before - ill work out how to do so and will add
    Want to get into the habit of sharing some of my better images anyway
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm using Raynox 250 instead MCON. Raynox can be attached to any m43 lens and keep quality :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using OM-D E-M5 + Leica 25/f1.4 + T*
  3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Have you also tried the wide converter? Or is that only for the 14-42 II?

Seems like if I didn't need the weather sealing, the 12-50mm can eventually be sold and I can put the difference toward these adapters.
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The WCON-P01 wide and FCON- P01 fisheye adaptors only fit on the 14 - 42
    The reason that the MCON- P01 macro fits on the 14 - 150 and 40 - 150 is that the macro adaptor has an extra adaptor built into it which you leave in to fit onto the 14 - 42 MSC mk2 or R lenses but which is removed to allow the adaptor to fit onto the much bigger superzooms
    Hope this helps and clarifies
    From my experience the results from using the macro adaptor with the 14 - 150 are much better than those with the 12 - 50 (which I also have which I find lacks in sharpness and which does not render the same degree of magnification)