Used Olympus 75-300 F4.8-6.7 ll

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gr8five, Mar 31, 2016.

1. gr8five

gr8five Guest

I've been offered a used 75-300 lens at a great price, at least compared to new I
    think its a great price but being new to Olympus I know nothing about it. I did see that the new price isn't a lot of money so thought I would ask for your experiences with this lens.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

On which camera do you plan you use it? On a body with IBIS (Olympus or a couple of Panasonic models) it's a very good lens (though not exceptional). Small and light considering the focal length (600 equiv). On a non stabilized body it's better to get a stabilized lens (like the Pana 100-300).

You can see a few samples here:

Showcase - Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7 II

There are better IQ alternatives like the new Pana 100-400 (completely different price) or the old adapted Four Thirds 50-200 SWD lens + 1.4x TC (works fine only on the E-M1).
    Otherwise you have to consider to use lenses from other systems, with an adapter, with or without AF.

It's not a very fast lens, but at 300mm the only lens that is significantly faster (more then half stop) are the Oly 300/4 prime and the SWD+TC (or other adapted Four Thirds lenses).

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I think the 75-300mm is a good lens especially if you can get if second hand at a good price. It is slow at the long end but so are all long zooms unless you want to pay thousands of $ to get something fast and then it will be much heavier also.

The following are shots taken of a local surf competition held on the weekend. These surfers were a long way out so I decided to shoot JPG only and use the digital teleconverter. The exif data should show the focal length used but keep in mind that you must double this due to the teleconverter. They have only been cropped to a 2:3 perspective (so a bit of the top and bottom, nothing more). I have edited them a bit but nothing major. I think they are pretty good for such an inexpensive lens.

Shot at 7.30am on a cloudy morning
    25564635503_19fefd179e_b. MN270107.jpg by Maria Noonan, on Flickr

Shot the day before at midday
    [​IMG]MN260024.jpg by Maria Noonan, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  4. gr8five

gr8five Guest

Thank you for the welcome. This forum seems to be a great place filled with great people. The body Im using is an E-M1 and the only other lens I have is the Oly 12-40mm F/2.8. Im not a pro so my standards are a little lower, not saying the IQ doesn't need to be there but not pixel peeping great. I looked at the tread that Klorenzo provided and found some very good pictures especially for a retail $500 and used $195 lens.The pics from RamblinR I think are very good especially with the movement involved. The reason Im looking at this lens is obviously the price, and size and weight for travel and so far its looking pretty good. I do want your thoughts good and bad incase Im missing something.
    Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    It is a very versatile lens (I use a Canon 500D 58mm and it does respectable macro). It does better on my EP5 than my Gx8 except for BIF at high shutter speeds and better AF give the Gx8 an edge. There is a learning curve - but it is capable of very sharp images. I am leaning toward keeping mine even though I have the PL 100-400 on order, and for what it is, it is smaller than the PL 100-300 and much smaller/lighter than the 100-400. If you are getting it for $200 and know the lens has not been abused its a very good deal IHMO.

6. gr8five

gr8five Guest

Thanks Jeff its not two years old and Im told the person that owns it doesn't abuse his equipment but I haven't seen it yet myself.

7. KTi

KTi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Singapore
    I've been using this lens with EM-5 MK2 for about a year on nearly every weekend to go out in the field to do birding. Given light, this lens is as good as any. The lens is light and matched well with M43 bodies. There is only one thing I wish it could have been better, the manual focus ring. On my copy, it is a little too light, there is no feel (resistance) when I am doing fine adjustment especially for distance subjects, other than this I am happy with it.

Here's a sample I just took a few hours ago. It's a tiny crimson sunbird which is about 40-50 feet up a saraca tree.

26155970616_46931cde0d_c.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I certainly don't need a long M43 zoom at all, bit for $195, I would get one.

9. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I have a 75-300 II
    for $195 lens I would buy it just for a spare/backup
    I am very happy with mine on my EM-10

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. gr8five

gr8five Guest

I like the photos and opinions thanks. Im going to buy the lens.