Used Oly 45mm f1.8 Aperture Chatters

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I was in my local Henry's and tried a used 45mm. In Aperture Priority with the camera set to f1.8, the aperture blades would stop down to different sizes with the shutter only half pressed and made a bit of an audible chatter when it moved the blades. Is this a common issue with this lens? The lens was cosmetically excellent but only listed as an 8+. Price was pretty good, only $299 CDN.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I had that issue with a used 17mm f1.8

It was most noticeable when C-AF was on for video as it chattered constantly. It still made the noise in S-AF stills but that was not as noticeable. I don’t think it is the aperture changing but rather the focus mechanisms or motors. Either way, I sold that lens. No issues with my 25mm or 45mm f1.8 so it is likely a copy issue. I’d avoid it.

Last edited:

haunted scrap heap
Might want to check the firmware version... v1.2 update for this lens was related to aperture noise (similarly to several of the other small primes).

EDIT: Actually, the update is described as "Stability of lens aperture when shooting videos has been improved."... so, may or may not be related to this.

Last edited:

BJC1982

Mu-43 Regular
I have both the 25mm 1.8 and the 45mm 1.8 from Olympus and neither of them have done something like that. I, too, would recommend that you pass on that copy of the lens. That said, keep looking for a good copy of the 45mm 1.8. It is a great lens and my favorite one to use.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I haven't looked in a while, but I seem to recall noticing one day standing outside on my back porch that looking into the 45 lens (mounted and camera on) that the aperture would be constantly changing size depending on how much light was shining on it. I thought it kind of weird since normally you assume aperture is always wide open when doing nothing or even half pressing the shutter. But I assumed it did it as a way to help better meter the scene when there was just TOO much light coming it, it would auto close down a bit?

EDIT to add:

Other threads elsewhere about this same, apparently normal, operation of the 45/1.8...
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1941650@N22/discuss/72157630321193240/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3500387

Last edited:

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
I inadvertently purchased a 17 2.8 don't know why I thought it was 1.8 but anyway kept it and it also rattles but seems to work fine.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I had a similar "problem" when I got my new EM5III. I had it with several lenses, as you could read in this thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/noisy-e-m5iii.107028/

The final thought was that it was OK, and I haven't had any trouble with the camera or the lenses mentioned.

One thing, however - that price for that lens is not good. While I guess it is nice to shop at local dealerships, I got a used Oly 45mm 1.8 from KEH very recently for only $220 (free shipping). It was Excellent+ condition. You could take a look there.
Edit: Oops, I see that you are in Canada, so maybe the price is OK. You could judge better than I on that, but take note of the price I paid at KEH and do the math, I guess. Excellent+ rating is pretty high.

Justin_em5mkii

Mu-43 Rookie
Yea I have seen this with a few of my lenses (oly 25mm 1.8 and I think my 45 1.8 too). It happened on my em5ii and also em5iii. It’s related to the camera body anti flicker reduction and as far as I know totally normal. Nothing to do with the lens actually. I noticed that it mostly happens in artificial lighting such as led bulbs. You can turn off flicker reduction and it should stop it entirely. This is what I did and never noticed it again. Go to the menu and select c1 then scroll down to “flicker reduction” and click on it and turn both off. That’s how to do it on an em5iii. Your camera may vary

Latest threads

Top Bottom