1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Used my OM-D on a fashion shoot today...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by deepestbluest, Jan 23, 2013.

1. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    and I still can't believe how capable this camera is, especially with studio lights. The images out of it are stellar and seem to have some decent headroom for editing. However people can't believe that something so TINY can product decent images :biggrin:

I used my gripped OM-D and 17/1.8 and 45mm combo for the entire shoot. I still haven't had the opportunity to use my 75 yet :mad:

check 'em!

• Like Like x 40
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks for proving that the 17/1.8 is a capable lens. :smile: Excellent shots!

3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Great work, I just used my OMD EM5 for a couple fashion shoots over the last week, but haven't started editing them yet. I tell ya, it went so well that I no longer had "seller's remorse" about ditching my entire Canon kit recently to go micro 4/3rds!

4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The first reminds me of that old lyric, "She had nine buttons on her nightgown, but she could only fascinate." (er, "Fasten eight?")

Great shots, glad to see you pushing the boundaries with the EM-5!

5. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Could you tell us which shot was with the 17mm ?

I assume the 2nd one ?

6. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Wow, bravo !

7. ps2br

ps2br Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Great !!:cool:

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice.

However.... I haven't seen it here as much but it is customary to prepend "NSFW" to the beginning of the title as the first image pop'd up while I was having breakfast at my desk at work.

Thanks

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the first one, but I can't get from there to your Flickr directory to check the EXIF,
    can you give us a link?

10. deepestbluest

Sep 7, 2012
  11. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Great shots. How do you like it to do studio shoots with the OM-D? I did not try it yet with strobes, only with constant lighting (à la kinoflo). I was wondering how it was to focus and compose since it's very dark in the viewfinder with only the modeling lamps on. That's next on my tests lists with the OM-D.

12. deepestbluest

Sep 7, 2012
    Yes! This has been one of my biggest issues. As you can see I'm using a lot more ambient light than I'd like (hence the slower shutter speeds - both of the shots had a window with natural light coming, and I used the two strobes with PLM to balance the light out). I had a shoot outside one night with strobes and actually had to bring a video light to help with the focus and composition aspects of the shoot, since yes, the viewfinder is just too damn dark. However, provided the light you have is decent, it hasn't really been an issue much. I do find myself chimping a lot more than I'd like though.

All in all I think it's more about anticipating the movement of the model, poses, etc than poring through the viewfinder. But of course YMMV, since everyone shoots differently.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Great photos. Very well done. How about posting a few more? Just to look at the technical qualities of the photo of course! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    What strobes/speed-lights are you using and how are you triggering them?

15. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I don't know why anyone would ever dought that an EM-5 would do studio.

heres a couple from my ancient GF1 and thats only 12 mp and enlarge no problem to 20x16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    OK as long as it was just the image that popped up! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Beautiful work with the GF1, Al.

18. deepestbluest

Sep 7, 2012
    sorry I just got around to replying to this. For this shoot I used two Canon 580ex's in a big octobox and a third ancient minolta flash for fill.

Here are a couple more with natural light from the OM-D and 75mm f1.8.

and for some reason the compression on Flickr is making them look less detailed that I found they were out of the camera. Really love the 75/OMD combo, I think it rivals my 5D/135L combo when I had it.

• Like Like x 7
  19. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I am sooooooooo in the wrong line of work.

Great photos.

20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Since with strobes you don't need live exposure preview, can't you gain up the OM-D viewfinder to make it brighter?