Used m43 gear in Japan?

gnik

Mu-43 Regular
Heading to Japan for three weeks in April. The trip is centred around the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage hike, but we also have a few days in Tokyo (Shinjuku) & Kyoto (Downtown) and a day in Osaka (Dotonbori).

Is it worth looking out for used m43 gear over there? Any recommended shops? I checked out the Map Camera web site and their selection looks great, but prices weren't tempting.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I didn't find pricing to be that much better than the USA overall, but the selection was amazing. Even if you don't go to buy, I would go just to browse. I've never seen camera shops before that have literally everything they make on display. Bic camera and map camera were the two best ones I visited in Shinjuku.

One thing to consider is that you can get usually get a sales tax rebate if you are on a tourist visa. So the prices may be a little cheaper after that.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Map camera has amazing choice, take great care of their used products, and you get a great price IMHO. Did you subtract the tax when checking prices? Their used prices are unbeatable compared to where I live.

They will give you 1 week's time to return your stuff if anything is not to your liking, ideal time frame if you're traveling.
The staff speaks very little English, but they make it up with friendliness and politeness (as in many places in Japan!).

Their website is very up to date, so you can already shop before going there. :)

I got a 15mm 1.7 from them, and could not recommend map camera more. Will definitely go there again when I am in Tokyo!

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Yodobashi is photographer heaven.
I found (new) prices to be a bit cheaper than in the States (especially after duty free), and for some specialty items, a lot cheaper.

Latest threads

Top Bottom