1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Used GH2 prices going up?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stripedrex, Jul 6, 2013.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I own a GH2 and looking to swtich to OMD potentially and VERY surprised to see GH2 prices. I bought my GH2 in Dec / Jan for around 450 (they were going for around 450-550 at the time if I recall) and now they're selling for 600-700 used?! Is this camera still that popular for video even though the GH3 came out with more stable out of the box high bitrates and better sensor? I was figuring about the same or lower prices for the GH2. Is it because it's no longer made?

Any ideas on these used market prices? Should I hang on to the GH2 and sell it later if the price carries or goes up more? Or should I SELL SELL SELL since it looks like I'll be out on a profit with my GH2 adventures? =)

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would probably sell now if I were you. I suspect the rise in value was due to the temporary difficulty I'm finding a GH3 I'm stock as well as the premium for the GH3. The GH3 price appears to be softening a bit of late and the supply issues appear to be worked out. With the G6 (a.k.a. GH2.5) also out now there doesn't seem to be much justification left for the increased value of the GH3.

Take the money and run!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Once the Panasonic G6 is in stock I think GH2 price will go down gradually, the colour from G6 is more pleasing, less banding (especially with sky) and noise (in low light/ underexposed scene) in video mode compare to GH2, just the compression is lower (so motion video is less clearer) and no HDMI out from G6 which limit some setup

I sold my GH2 last month for nearly $700, so it is a nice profit lol. I probably gonna get G6 when it is widely in stock in the future, gonna try wireless video setup

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Holey crap!! I kinda hate my GH2 and I am mainly holding on to it because I didn't think I would recoup the cost of what I spent on it. I guess I should sell it right away.. Hmm it is the last true Multi-aspect-sensor µ4/3 camera tho.
    Where did you sell yours at?

5. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

By and large if you go and ask the VDSLR community what they think of the GH2vGH3vG6 debate, for them the GH2 comes out on top. I think what we're seeing is that the demand for the GH2 has stayed consistent while the supply has shrunk.

6. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Can you tell me why you hate your GH2?

I hated mine at first until I got used to it and learned to tweak the color settings. Maybe I can help you at least like it a little bit.

Now I find it focuses much faster than my Olympus E-PL5 and I prefer the fully articulating lcd.

Isabel

7. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Do you guys think it may continue to go up or it's flat? My GH2 is on Ebay now and I have a whole slew of people watching it with decent activity already. I now have the OMD and I'm happy with the switch but wish I could keep both lol. After Artorious's post I looked around some forums the GH2 is still regarded one of the best video capable cameras even over GH3 and G6 mostly because GH3 is now a Sony sensor. This must be why it costs more and potentially may hold value or even go up if it doesn't have a replacement. There are folks shooting 170mbs with hacks which no other camera can attain. I may bump up my reserve and keep it lol ..

Thoughts?

8. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    You know, as more 60p cameras and 4k video on the horizon being a norm thinking keep reserve low. HMMMMM

Here's a thread that links a few sources of tests and comments between GH3 / GH2:
    GH2 Hack vs GH3 - ANAMORPHIC - EOSHD Forum

9. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    I plan on keeping mine and getting bmpc or gh3 when it gets hacked

10. goodluckman61

goodluckman61 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Would you be willing to do a walk thru for ME?
    I have a GH1 which I bought 8 months ago and it sits in the draw!
    I bought it for video as I was told it does video well.

I've got the kit lens 14 -42mm and have been glued to the ebay auctions for days only to be frustrated by always losing for a dollar or two.

Sorry to babble on but my friend who sold it to me is not around any more!

11. isabel95

I don't know anything about the GH1. I just know that when I changed to suggested jpg color settings by Robiro, that I saw on the dpreview micro 43 forum, my color improved a lot.

12. jo_kami

jo_kami New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2013
    San Diego, California
    Hmm had no idea about the color settings. Definitely want to see if this works with the GH2!

13. isabel95

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I too prefer the fully articulating lcd. My 1st µ4/3 camera was the G1 and I only recently made the move to the GH2 this past December. The increased MP and ability of 1:1 aspect with a larger sensor were the only features that enticed me. I should point out that I typically shoot in raw and process in LR3.

15. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    So I sold my GH2 plus remote timer and extra aftermarket batteries for $625 on ebay 7/2013 and for reference which I purchased used 12/13/2012 for $466 for $160 profit =).

I now have an OMD and I have to say have more keepers and slightly better color in regards to pix due to the ibis but sorely miss the video quality of the hacked gh2 (very noticeable difference) although again the ibis gets me more 'useful' stable video. I also miss all the buttons and controls I had right at my finger tips with the GH2.

Hopefully the OMD retains it's value or goes up for whatever reason =p.