1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Used G1 worth buying?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by marz, Aug 15, 2011.

1. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I can buy a used, red G1 body, in good shape for 150 euros (±210 USD) Actually thats less than the price of a LVF1 for my GF1...

Is it a good investment compared to a G2? (which still fetch around 400 euros secondhand in Europe)

Thanks for your replies.

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I almost bought a G1 recently as my EP1 at the time didn't have the option of an EVF however I decided to upgrade to the EP2 instead when I saw a good deal. But before that most people said that for the pricing the G1 used was a steal, and yes cheaper than an Add On EVF, I don't really need two bodies or I'd be still picking up a G1 rather than the upgrade I've done and that price, compared to the UK anyway seems reasonable for a used G1

• Like Like x 1
  3. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    As far as I have been able to find out it uses the same sensor as the GF1, and it has the same swivel LCD as the G2/3 minus the touchscreen (no big deal to me) does it use the same EVF? as thats the most important reason I'd want/need it?

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I didn't have one already, I'd buy it. I use mine as a second body to my gf1. I use it in situations where an EVF comes in handy, when I'm using bigger lenses and can appreciate the grip or when the tilt/swivel LCD comes in handy. I can't speak to comparing it to the G2, but I know I could easily spend the extra money on something else knowing how well the G1 works.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I bought a used red G1 last year as a companion to my GF1 and ended up using the G1 as my primary camera. I am very happy with it. Remember the G1 does not have video.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think the G1 shares the same EVF with the G2 and GH1 (maybe GH2 also?). Compared to the GF1 you'll gain the articulated screen but lose video capability.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Happy with my G1 - put it this way, I can't see any situation where the G2 would get you a better photo? Technically they're the same sensor etc. The handling's changed slightly, bu the G1 handles very well IMO (i prefer the handling to a GF1).

• Like Like x 1
  8. One other difference between the G1 and G2 is the location of the control wheel. G1 is on the front and G2 on the back. Having used the same front control wheel on the GH1 I would prefer it on the back of the camera. A G2 owner might be able to confirm if the G2 has a one-press zoom for manual focus assist or two-press like the G1.

9. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    OK, I bit the bullit, LOL, just bought it for a mere 135 euros.

Should arrive within the next few days, will keep you posted. Thanks for the imput.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    For that price...sure. It's a good camera with great IQ and handling. No video but if you don't need video it's a terrific bargain.

11. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Upon arrival of the G1I found that the seller and I have very different views of what a camera in very good cosmetic condition is. Technically it all works 100% but it has a number of small scratches a little chip of red missing right next to the shutter release. I checked the number of shutter activations in the service mode and it has just over 5000 clicks, which I suppose is not bad. Seller also failed to inform me that the original box was missing just like the usb cable... He did provide me with a portable card reader to make up for that, though.

I contacted him via the Paypal resolution center, and he reimbursed me 30 euros. Which makes it an OK deal I think. I really prefer the handling of the G compared with the GF. And look forward to take it on a 3-day hike next weekend.

12. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Marz,

I own the G1 and GH2 and in good light, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two in terms of IQ. It's a diff story in low-light. Ignoring video for a while, you'd just got 80% functionality of the GH2 for 1/7 the price.

Also, the G1 has some very wicked colors and if you process your shots in Aperture like I do, you'd see that RAW support for GH2 is sort of wonky. The colors come out a bit off. No such problem with the G1. Colors bright and beautiful. I would argue it could give the Oly Jpegs a run for the money.

It's v possible you end up using it as your primary camera.